Flying with your MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by conshok26, Sep 3, 2008.

1. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I know that it was an issue before but has anyone had any problems with their macbook air and airport security? I know there was a new thing where if you have a certain kind of bag you don't have to take your laptop out. I currently have the incase sleeve and just bought a over the shoulder bag. Any advice would be great.

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Some airports have the special super-duper xray thingy but most don't. If they don't, they'll tell you way ahead of time you'll need to take your computer out.

3. kalex macrumors 65816

no issues. just take it out of a bag and put it into a separate container. just don't forget to take it back :)

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, take it out of the case, it's just easier then having them tell you and it makes your security check-in faster and smoother. Don't let them get rough with it! :eek:

5. Constantinos macrumors newbie

Over the last month in two European airports, I have had the experience where the security staff just looked at the sleeve within which I have the Air (a Tucano), said "ah .. it is this slim thing" and let me go without having to open the lid and so on.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I dont really understand why it'll be an issue 'just' with the Air but in general..... I carry my MBP and MB around and it's fine! But some airports ask you to switch it on.

In all you should not face much problems!

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hasn't anybody else encountered the new machines where they specifically ask you to NOT remove anything from your bag? I've hit a few of them lately. I assumed that's what the OP was referring to but maybe it was only removing from sleeve?

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

The SSD Air confused one particular security crew because they expected to see the moving parts of a HDD but there were none. there was an article / blog post that circulated when this happened. i suspect because the Air's been out for a while and because the variety of SSD laptops has grown, this would no longer be an issue.

edit:
    here's that news story:
    "Steve Jobs Made Me Miss My Flight"

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

At my airport in Pittsburgh, I always had to remove my laptop from the bag, but we don't have one of the newer xrays yet.

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

No issues with mine and I"ve probably taken it thru 25 or 30 different airports.

11. SphericalPear macrumors member

advice from an apple expert

hi, welcome to macrumors.com. thanks for using macrumors.com, and i hope we can be of help!

unfortunately, the truth is that airport sec staff will always make you take it out separately. please understand that the "air" in mba doesn't refer to "airport safety" -- apple picked it as a slogan to signify the lightness of the product!

i hope that clarification solves the issue.

12. renault4 macrumors regular

I travel frequently, mostly in the Domestic US--as much as once a week. I routinely place my MBA (HD) still in its Waterfield Sleevecase in a separate bin at the security x-ray, I have never been asked to take it out of the sleeve. Once, I think, the TSA folk swabbed the unit post x-ray, but they seemed familiar with the model, so that was probably just a random spot check.