Flyover/3D still really sucks

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Rogifan, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Jony Ive's house in 3D on maps app. :eek: Looks nothing like what Forstall demoed at WWDC. There we got this perfect 3D flyover of the Sydney opera house. This is just embarrassing. I tried pulling up my own house but all Apple has right now is a crappy satellite image, no 3D. I know there are more important things with the maps app that need to be fixed but still how the hell did this thing ever get released in such poor condition?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh and when I entered the address of this house it took me to another house several blocks away.

2. dinggus macrumors 65816

You seriously whining about 3D imagery on a phone? It's still new!

My house doesn't even show up, because it wasn't built yet, I should go start a thread about it.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The 3D maps aren't even a year old and are constantly getting better. I can now look around London, New York and Rome... on my phone.... in 3D.... for free.... whenever I want!

This generation of kids need some REAL problems.

This thread is embarrassing.

4. Random 995K macrumors 6502

fwp -_-

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, I suppose the OP is expressing where we would all like this kind of thing to go... better data and better rendering. I'd like to add greater coverage, since Apple's source of map data for Scotland appears to be utter crap in terms of POI and the labeling of some locations. Frankly, I have not seen any improvements in the maps for my area since they moved a label for a local village from the middle of a forest to its actual location.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

This is not how 3D maps (or the maps app in general) was sold at WWDC. And even forgetting about the crappy rendering when I put the address in it took me to a house several blocks away. That's embarrassing. As far as this being free....remind me again what the price of an unlocked iPhone is?

7. cynics macrumors G3

It's exactly what I was expecting. Major cities in 3D but not rural or less popular areas.

Googles 3D is the same way except they have a guided tour feature which is what I WAS expecting from Apple when they said "flyover".

Overall, in my location apple maps have been pretty good. I find the map app featureless to be more of a shortcoming then my house not being in 3D. I see it every day in 3D.....in real life... :)

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

San Francisco is a major city, no?

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

ftfy

10. cynics macrumors G3

Meh...if you say so....

11. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Er, I'm assuming it would be considering where Apple is headquartered...and um yeah I would consider it to be a major city, in the US at least.

12. Idefix macrumors 6502

Thank heavens for jailbreaking, where you can at least reassign the contacts' addresses to open in Google Maps...

13. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Apples Maps will be 1000x better in less then a year then it is now. Just give it some time man

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Funny thing about that... I had maps that worked great where I live a few months ago. Why should I now "give it some time" for something they took away from me?

Nothing to do with the 3D flyovers, but because of the change, I lost a few core features and numerous 3rd party apps still don't work properly and yet, for some reason, we're supposed to understanding and relaxed? No thanks.

15. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I disagree. I think it's pretty innovative considering that apple has done alot more with the 3D aspect of maps than most google has. Yes, google does have more cities in 3D, but I think the cities that are in 3D are clearly superior than google's...

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Did Forstall say that at WWDC?

17. MozMan68, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I'm confused about what you are complaining about?

I get the address being wrong...at least it says "approximate location" so one knows to go straight to Google.....

...but what are complaining about with flyover...quality of the image?

..and what is with te two images you attached? Is one from WWDC and one from you? I can replicate both on apps, so again, not sure what you are trying to show.

18. SONiC5 macrumors regular

I like Flyover/3D, I just hate that it's low quality unless I'm zoomed all the way in. Why can't it be sharp when I zoom out? It's like it blurs on purpose.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Trying to show that flyover is still really crappy. And nothing like what was presented at WWDC. Basically Apple over promised and under delivered.

20. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Sorry...I don't even remember what was shown, but I don't remember it looking any worse or better than what it is now. Any pics of WWDC versus now?

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

That could be said about practically everything involving their maps.