Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Dutch website iCulture and reported by iGen.fr, Apple has recently added several new European locations to its Flyover feature for Maps, including Rotterdam in the Netherlands, Malmö in Sweden, Strasbourg and Dijon in France, and Turin in Italy. This expansion follows a similar update earlier this month that added Flyover to cities in France, Sweden and the US.

malmo-sweden-flyover.jpg
HSB Turning Torso in Malmö, Sweden
iOS and OS X users can now take advantage of the Flyover feature, which first debuted in iOS 6 and OS X Yosemite. Flyover provides a detailed 3D look at a location, allowing users to zoom in to buildings and other notable landmarks in supported locations. The feature relies heavily on the technology Apple acquired when it purchased C3 Technologies in 2011.

Flyover was limited when it launched, but Apple has been adding locations at a steady pace with support for more than 100 cities worldwide. Apple also recently introduced the new Flyover city tours feature, which provides users with a guided aerial tour of landmarks in a select cities worldwide.

Article Link: Flyover for Apple Maps Expanded to Include New Cities in France, Sweden, Italy and Netherlands

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
They're still wasting resources on this crud?

Useless, gimmicky feature and hardly the best way to view maps. Google Street view is far superior and more user friendly ... and that's hard for me to say given how much I loathe Google.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
Nice. I'm a big fan of flyover. I use it whenever I can to "explore" cities for business and pleasure and have found it very useful for planning and getting to know my general surroundings. So the more cities the better.

Now if only Apple can get Hop Stop integrated with maps sooner rather than later....

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
So still no public transportation information but more gimmick fly over cities

This is why I haven't touched Apple maps in years and will never use it

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
For me, Flyover seems to be one of those things that they just have to commit to now.

Shame.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
For me, Flyover seems to be one of those things that they just have to commit to now.

Shame.

Well, I use it almost everyday and am very glad its available. There are more uses to a 3D view of the world than just finding directions.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Can't wait for Flyover in Buffalo...

Actually I can. My city shouldn't even be in 3D if they can't have places or the map age correct!

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014

Useless, gimmicky feature and hardly the best way to view maps. Google Street view is far superior and more user friendly ... and that's hard for me to say given how much I loathe Google.

Wrong. Flyover is vastly superior to exploring places and get an overview of the situation, fast! Unless you want to look into an outdated window display of the store you’re going to, Google Street View is pretty impractical. If you actually lived in a city with flyover, you would understand that...

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Just get me where I want to go with no mistakes. Flyover is okay so long as the primary job of the software is intact.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
To the contrary, Google street view has been very useful to me, getting I tel on where I am going to go, for example where the parking garage is located, what the building looks like from the front etc. Not impractical at all.

Wrong. Flyover is vastly superior to exploring places and get an overview of the situation, fast! Unless you want to look into an outdated window display of the store you’re going to, Google Street View is pretty impractical. If you actually lived in a city with flyover, you would understand that...

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I wonder if cities or certain interests outside of Apple look to have this function included? I mean Malmo is an absolute S*** hole, and has suffered from a huge crime increase in recent years along with gun violence, serial killers, extreme far right racism, racist attacks, drug wars, religious violence etc etc ... And even that twisting tower that was highlighted has been up for sale and not been able to find a buyer for it. So why Apple would choose to Malmo of all places ? Unless there is another type of incentive? Could local areas be paying or arranging deals to ensure their region is listed?

----------

It does make you wonder why resources are being used on this.
Is it really a resource that offers something new, or simply a contest with Google who apple lost to years ago in regards to maps).

Transportation information has to be more important.
But then again, much of this is already available in google maps.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean that other people don't. I like it to preview a city before I go to it. It's certainly not as useful as Street view overall but that doesn't mean it's not useful.

----------

To the contrary, Google street view has been very useful to me, getting I tel on where I am going to go, for example where the parking garage is located, what the building looks like from the front etc. Not impractical at all.

Is it just possible the Google Street view and apples flyover are both useful.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Out of curiosity what do you use it for daily?

There is no single thing that has me using it daily, I can think of a dozen things I use it for, but a few unusual things that contribute:

I cycle to work and for many other short trips and for leisure. I use flyover to find routes away from traffic and to get an advance look at road junction markings. Streetview is no good for off-road, and is way too slow for route planning, and static satellite imagery it not as good in leafy or built up areas where you're looking for bike lanes, and it doesn't show hills.

My work requires me to research architecture and landscapes looking for photo reference and filming locations. Sometimes I have to research locations after filming to work out where the camera was positioned etc. A little while ago I needed to find all the high rise buildings with a certain style of window and stonework in a nearby city. I can't think of any other way I could have done it. Sometimes the visual reference I need is for high altitude images, so Flyover is perfect.

As a leisure thing, and because I work in film & TV it's sometimes fun to use it to find filming locations while watching TV or a movie, especially an old classic. The Devils Tower and Meteor Crater were two great additions for a movie geek.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Instead of gimmicky stuff like this, I wish their next enhancement was the ability to change the default Map app to Google Maps. Apple still hasn't corrected some of the incorrect location labels I submitted well over a year ago. Enough.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
It does make you wonder why resources are being used on this.
Is it really a resource that offers something new, or simply a contest with Google who apple lost to years ago in regards to maps).

Transportation information has to be more important.
But then again, much of this is already available in google maps.

Of course it offers something new. Imagine when the whole world is mapped. How invaluable would that be to students of architecture, planning, geology, geography, history, military strategy, photography, cinema or meteorology. Imagine turning the page of your e-textbook and on the next page is the 3D environment where you can see for yourself how parts of the Earth formed, or where Ansel Adams was standing when he took his photograph, or why Omaha Beach claimed so many lives. If you can think beyond what you want today, there's actually something valuable and amazing happening with this technology.

Last edited:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

They should send their Flyover techs undercover into the factories that assemble their products and find out what's really going on.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Of course it offers something new. Imagine when the whole world is mapped. How invaluable would that be to students of architecture, planning, geology, geography, history, military strategy, photography, cinema or meteorology. Imagine turning the page of your e-textbook and on the next page is the 3D environment where you can see for yourself how parts of the Earth formed, or where Ansel Adams was standing when he took his photograph, or why Omaha Beach claimed so many lives. If you can think beyond what you want today, there's actually something valuable and amazing happening with this technology.
And that's why I think it's nice that Apple is working on this, but shouldn't they be spending more resources to making these maps as useful (accurate, up-to-date maps, POIs, public transport info, etc...) as their competitors?
If Apple's goal with Apple Maps was to replace Google Maps (they ditched Google's app and replaced it with their own since iOS 6) shouldn't they provide at least the same basic functionality first?

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta

and it will be terribly outdated by that day

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
And that's why I think it's nice that Apple is working on this, but shouldn't they be spending more resources to making these maps as useful (accurate, up-to-date maps, POIs, public transport info, etc...) as their competitors?
If Apple's goal with Apple Maps was to replace Google Maps (they ditched Google's app and replaced it with their own since iOS 6) shouldn't they provide at least the same basic functionality first?
They ARE spending more resources on the basics of their maps' functionality than they are on Flyover. Flyover only covers a teeny-tiny insignificant fraction of the mappable world.

As to whether they should hold off on any development of the flyover feature until after they are COMPLETELY done with everything else, I'd posit that they should find a cure for cancer before adding or correcting even one POI. The cure for cancer is more important, right? Next comes feeding hungry children. Somewhere way down on the list is adding public transportation info for people who are wealthy enough to own an iPhone, and all the things above it should be done first.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
As it's gotten higher res, I'm finding Flyover more useful than Streetview. Using gestures, I can quickly zoom in from a flat view to detailed 3D view of an area I'm interested in.
With Streetview, you have to go into a completely different mode and use a convoluted frame by frame system to get the angle you want, and often you don't get an exact angle or you have a car in the way.
StreetView is still useful for when I want to see the number on a building or another very fine detail, but I'm finding less and less need as Flyover's detail is improved.

----------

and it will be terribly outdated by that day

Given that Flyover mapping of an entire city can be done in a day versus StreetView taking weeks or months of driving around, Flyover is more likely to be more uptodate than Streetview. In fact, I've noticed Toronto get updated pretty regularly.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK

I disagree, not because of the application in education that can be used for.
But the market reach, and because it plays no practical role in common maps for everyday use.

Most people look on a map to see how they get from A to B.
Especially in regards to smartphones, for which Apple maps was primarily designed for. Whereas this notion to be able to study architecture from an ariel perspective seems some what of a niche market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.