FM Radio vs. Internet Streaming

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by moonman239, May 4, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

In your opinion, which one is better? I like Internet streaming because the ability to listen to a station is not limited to select geographical areas. You can listen to it anywhere you have access to the Internet. With the wide availability of cellular networks, this is close enough to everywhere, assuming you can use cellular data. Another advantage is that I think the quality may be higher if you have a good Internet connection. Yet another advantage is that sometimes you can more easily submit feedback about the song you're listening to and request a song. With apps like Pandora, you can actually listen only to music that you like, even if you're the only one in the county who likes listening to the music you enjoy.

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

streaming for the win. i haven't listened to FM in months. only know it's still on because last week i bumped the wrong button on the dash...

i don't watch broadcast tv, i don't listen to broadcast radio, i don't watch/listen to ads online/offline/ever. freedom taken to a whole new level, never going back. viva la interwebs.

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

XM killed FM for me forever. I have no desire to listen to FM again. I haven't done mobile streaming because my Verizon data plan is limited to 1GB and streaming uses a ton of data.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I like both. There are some good FM stations here, but there are also some very good stations from all over the place which I can only get on the internet. I don't like Pandora too much, but then I don't like to listen to just music. I like to have a bit of talking in the middle too.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, no good alternative rock station lasts in Atlanta for more than about 14 hours. After that, it changes formats to either top 40 pop, christian, or hip-hop. Couldn't figure out why one day I got in the car and Katy Perry was on. Turns out, the awesome station I had been listening to had changed formats overnight with no warning at all (I don't think even the DJs knew).

I listen to FM radio when driving my wife's car, since there's no satellite or aux hookup in that car. When I'm in my car, I listen to FM in the morning to catch one of the morning shows, then either Sirius/XM or my phone the rest of the time.

I try to keep it mixed up.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think there's a place for both. In the car I generally listen to AM/FM radio because I like listening to local stuff, be it talk radio, sports radio, music, etc.. I do stream music through Spotify on both my phone and at my computer, but that is mainly when I want to listen to music only.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Both. Streaming for when I want to listen to something different. CBC FM when I want to listen to regular programming and to get local news, weather, and a local perspective. Sometimes we time-shift CBC FM (i.e. we stream a CBC FM station from another time-zone) because we like a show - but don't want to wait until it's broadcast locally. Ironically, in the house we actually tend to stream the FM stations that we can pick up over the air. But we pipe the broadcast to different speakers when it's streamed.

8. Kattym macrumors member

I personally use both. When at home, I usually turn on the online streaming, but when I travel somewhere I prefere to safe mobile phone power and listen to fm radio.

9. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

This. I have not listened to AM or FM in years and have no desire to do so.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well if you live in a modern STEEL framed building most radio stations/cell phone signals can't get in or barely get in(near windows) streaming radio is a Heaven sent.

The trick is getting a receiver that can expect streaming radio streams. They're in the marketplace you just have to look (my Pioneer VSX-1020 has 10 feeds I can program through my browser) for one carefully.

I figured out the new software most American (and some other countries) radio stations are using that i call "Streams the World" in a pop-up window for Listen live". So if you have sreaming software the stream from that pop-up web radio cast software is
    Code:
    http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/Then name on the pop-up for the radio station replaces this text.pls
    This will work for most of those kind of web radios for your streaming software.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Haven't listened to FM in a very long time. Between streaming from my phone or the content stored on my phone. No radio for me.

The last time I did, I got sick of hearing two songs and then two minutes worth of commercials. No thank you.

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

But with the new HD radio you can get the add in the data stream at the same time. Oh what fun.:mad:

13. Plutonius, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Car
    HD radio FM >> Sirius > FM

Home/Work
    iTunes >> Streaming

I have not had that issue. The stations I listen to just send the album artwork with the data stream (somewhat worthless since I'm not looking at the radio while driving :D).

I'm not sure if it's because XM/Sirius really compress their signals but HD radio sounds much better then XM/Sirius in my opinion.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

HD Radio has all the same problems FM does because it's FM, it just sounds better. So that just means all of the talk and commercials in between 20 minutes of music an hour sounds crystal clear.

15. rhett7660, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have not subscribed to HD Radio or do I have any experience with it. However as soon as I see radio, I think of ads, nah I will pass for now.

I also do not have sirus radio as I don't want to pay for it.

**Whoops I meant "Ads" not "Adds"

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

HD radio is free (no subscription). You just need a radio that receives HD broadcast (most new car radios are HD) and a local radio station that broadcast HD.

It depends on the station as far as ads. Most HD stations I listen to play limited commercials and the commercials are all in an extended block (not spread out between the music). Then, like TV, you just channel surf to the next station :D.

I also have Sirius but I only listen to it when I can't receive any HD stations that I like.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I pretty much never use streaming radio. I don't much have a need for it.

I have Sirius in the truck, but the sound quality is **** compared to FM. I use it for certain content I can't get on FM.

When I listen to music, about 90% of the time I'm just using my iPod connected to my truck.

18. iMikeT macrumors 68020