FM Radio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluespider, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

there were rumors a while back that the iphone had a built in FM receiver and Apple would be releasing a FM Radio app... what ever happened with that???

2. dojoman macrumors 65816

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'm fairly certain that it was revealed a while back that there is definitely an FM transmitter inside the iPhone and iPod touch that is capable of receiving FM radio.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

6. iTouch macrumors 6502

You can try Pandora, Slacker, and ooTunes. The latter is a $5 app but it's highly rated.

7. shandyman Suspended

ooTunes is a great radio app, runs in backround and seems to have all my local & national stations

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Except that with the end of unlimited data, streaming radio is no longer viable for many people except those grandfathered into old plans.

I agree that Apple needs to include a standard FM radio into the iPhone and iPod touch--especially now.

9. xtend macrumors regular

I use http://www.wunderradio.com for local and non-local stations.

It has thousands of stations and i'm not restricted by reception - just internet access. ;)

10. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

This is so true, glad I'm grandfathered in on my new iP4. I use Slacker and WunderRadio A LOT while working. Had 3-4 gig data usage in Feb/Mar/Apr/May with my 3Gs....cause my wifi wouldn't reach where I was using the iPhone to stream it from.

Finally upgraded to a better wifi router when we had Verizon FIOS installed, and usage is back to 0.5-1.0 gig per month data usage on my iPhone.

Would love to see an FM radio, but I'm not holding my breath.

Do other high end smart phones have this feature? And if so, how well does it work? Anyone with real world experience?

We are talking about a 3rd receiver in the device....just wondering if there are reception and other issues (other than the obligatory battery life discussions).

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I use WunderRadio and iHeartRadio to access FM stations, but for me, the problem occurs when I'm trying to listen to a broadcast of a sporting event. Those stations aren't allowed to broadcast the game over the internet using apps like those, so having real FM radio on the iPhone or iPod touch would be awesome.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Most, if not all new Android handsets include an FM radio. It worked great on the EVO that I had and reception was good. The device uses your earphones/headset as an antenna. It's ridiculous to have to use data to listen to *local* radio stations.

13. bluespider thread starter macrumors 6502

bluespider

I agree! Yes, I do have the iHeart Radio and Wunder apps, but a true FM radio even HD radio with integration into iTunes would be awesome!!!! Just wonder why that hadn't happened yet...