FM Radio?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Arushan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Arushan macrumors member

is there no fm radio on the iphone4? (which does not need wi-fi or data)

it seems surprising to me that the iphone4 doesnt have this but other simple phones do but i can be mistaken

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. BiteMyApple macrumors member

BiteMyApple

Given how tightly packed the iPhone 4 is, I doubt there was any room left to add an FM tuner.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Broadcom wireless chip can do FM transmission and tuning. But it isn't enabled/connected.

5. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

According to the iFixit teardown of the iPhone 4 (step 18 here), the iPhone 4 has the Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG, which has a FM tuner in it.
    But who knows why its there? Because the iPhone 4 does not have a FM Radio app. Maybe its something Apple will activate down the line, maybe not, who knows?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iDevice line has had FM tuner capable chip since the iPod Touch 2G and transmitter since the iPhone 3Gs. If Apple was wanting to enable the FM features (if they even exist) it would have does so by now.

7. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Good point :p
    It would be nice to have the function, but Apple is telling me I dont need it, so I suppose Steve is right.