FM transmitter for iphone? Anyone have a good one to recommend?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cordovavol, Nov 21, 2008.

1. cordovavol macrumors newbie

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I recommend this one since I'm using it right now and it is working fine, just what I need. You could search the forums for more options though...

3. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i bought that exact one last saturday night and took it right back to BB on tuesday. utter crap.

static galore
    other fm transmitters in other cars would over-power it
    the scan function for stations was terrible.

i have another griffin fm transmitter for my 5th gen 80g ipod classic and it works superbly. i might have gotten a dud but i won't know because i'm not dropping another c-note on one.

i also have a belkin fm transmitter that pretty much has all the same functions, noise cancelation, etc. but it's crap too.

we need blue tooth :(

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I had the same problem, but I used the international mode and it worked flawlessly, probably 5% static but still unnoticeable. Did you do it on yours? (err wait you returned it already -_-) I wrote it on the review on the product link that I gave on how to use the international mode, reading other user reviews saved me $ on this one.

5. Bodah macrumors regular

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

7. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Are you talking about GSM/EDGE buzzing noises/interference?

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No, the device itself makes a beep at a regular interval.
    The device I'm referring to is what Bodah posted.

9. Bodah macrumors regular

I have had it for a few months and have never heard a beeping sound. I keep it plugged in all the time, and often listen to talk radio at a low level, so I should have heard a beep by now.

Maybe I just got lucky, and the beeper was broke on the one I got.

10. cwerdna macrumors 6502

any others?

^bump
    Anyone else have any recommendations or ones to avoid? I'd really rather not spend an arm and a leg ($70-80 is too much).

I had an iPhone 3G on loan and will be buying one real soon. Not surprisingly, my old (introduced WAY before even the 1st gen iPhone) Scosche IPTRNSX (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694330) will produce the airplane mode prompt and not charge. My even older Monster iCarPlay has the same behavior. The IPTRNSX works great w/my iPods though.

The IPTRNSX definitely transmits the audio ok w/the iPhone 3G, but if I'm listening to Pandora and the phone switches to EDGE mode, I get wicked, very loud constant GSM buzzing that continues until it's back in 3G mode.

Requirements: it must charge the iPhone 3G and must have good FM sound quality. It hopefully picks up little of the GSM buzzing but that might be more related to the car stereo and wiring.

I'm not real keen on http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13234 because of the placement of the plugs in the car it'll be used in, an 04 Nissan 350Z. Too bad it has no aux in or tape deck. :(