FM Transmitter - is Airplane mode really necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by peterm10, Dec 5, 2007.

1. peterm10 macrumors newbie

I have a Kensington FM transmitter which I used with my previous iPods but when I plugged my iPhone into it I got a message suggesting to use it in Airplane mode since the transmitter was not made to work with the iPhone. Using Airplane mode would defeat the main purpose for using an iPhone in the car - receiving and making calls when needed. I have used it for the last couple of days without switching Airplane mode on and it seems to work ok anyway (although I have paired it with a Bluetooth Motorola speaker that clips onto my visor for better sound). The Kensington charges the iPhone at the same time.

I have the iPhone-The Missing Manual book and it says that "electronic interference" is an issue with the iPhone and FM transmitters. Is having the network turned on supposed to create distortion and interference with playing music, or is playing music supposed to interfere with the phone?

I believe there are now FM transmitters that are compatible with the iPhone, but I would rather not buy one unless it really made a difference...

Peter

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The worst thing that will happen is you may get some cell-phone interference (buzzing and clicking) over the top of your music. If that's not happening, don't worry about it :)

3. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I pretty much have to go into airplane mode to use my FM transmitter. The buzz is horribly loud. However, I've tried a friend's FM transmitter, and it still buzzes, but is not as loud. Apparently, it just depends on the transmitter.