fm transmitter or cassette?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JoEw, May 14, 2011.

1. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

I'm using my old iphone 3g as my music power house for my car and i have 2 options as to getting the music to my stereo.

ipod cassette-tape - something like this http://www.amazon.com/Macally-PodTape-iPod-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B0001YXWNM

or

fm transmitter - something like this http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-FM-T...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305423143&sr=1-1

does anyone know what would deliver best sound quality?

I know a direct line to my stereo would obviously deliver best sound, but that is very costly and time consuming to do and i'm looking for 1 of the 2 options above.

Thanks to anyone who gives there opinions.

2. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've tried an iTrip with my phone and I need to hold the phone in a certain way to avoid noise/static. So that's kind of a downside of the FM transmitter but obviously that varies from car to car based on antenna and phone location. Currently I put my phone in a cradle and use a cassette adapter. Most of the time it works fine, I have to put my phone volume at ~90% for the best quality and use the radio volume for control. The only downside of that is that on my route to school, I pass through 3 spotty cell areas and the audio cable picks up interference for some reason which, in my knowledge, can't be avoided.

So for better quality, go with the cassette. But if you go through a lot of dead zones when you drive, go with the FM transmitter.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Cassette-tape by far. I have used both in the past. The problem is if the FM signal is strong at all, the station will come back and take over the transmitter. The cassette tape is always consistent.

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

+1 I use a cassette adapter and it works well. Direct line in would be better but like you my system does not have one.

If you do go the FM transmitter route try to find a wired one.