FM transmitters for iPod Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by jackc, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Please direct me if this is covered elsewhere. Are there any decent FM transmitters (for playing your iPod through a car radio)? Apparently at least some of the Griffin models are not compatible, not to mention it's hard to sort out the inevitable complaints about poor reception.

2. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

I cant remember the exact model, but one of the griffin units definately works with the 2g, i own it. Go on amazon and search for griffin 4045... That is the one, i think its called the smart scan.

3. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

4. secretpact macrumors 6502

I own that FM transmitter, but I'm getting my iPod touch this weekend. I'll let you know if it works.

5. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

I see that both of those models on Amazon list "iPod Touch" under compatibility, but not 2G.

However, on the Griffin web site, this model which looks essentially the same says it is compatible with everything

http://www.griffintechnology.com./products/itripautouniversalplus

6. secretpact macrumors 6502

Well, I can tell you that mine did not work with the touch. When I plugged it in, I got an error saying that the device I plugged in will not charge the touch. It didn't transmit over the FM either.

7. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Well then either you have another model or an older version because mine, which was bought in October works great with my 2g. If you check the griffin site it even says the 4045 model works with the 2g.

8. irishharmon macrumors newbie

Monster

I have a monster FM transmitter that works very well with my iTouch

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i've used FM transmitters costing between $10-$100. All are pretty much not up to great quality sound. Acceptable, but far from what i'd hope for. and i didn't find the higher the cost made for a nice sound either.

does your car stereo not have a 'jack in' option on the front? if not, the best option is to buy the appropriate cables (only a few bucks) and connect straight to the back of your car stereo directly.

sorry, just my opinion. i've been everywhere with this and if you really intend on listening your your ipod in the car a fair bit i'd buy an mp3 compatible stereo. not expensive they're not. mine isn't, and i cant be arsed with extra wires, so i just use a $15 fm transmitter. does the job i suppose. (there's always a degree of audible hiss or interference with them)

10. selena12321, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

I would recommend you 200 channel bluetooth and FM transmitter car kit.This 200 Channel FM Transmitter is the perfect way to get sound from your iPhone, iPod, PDA, MP3 into your car stereo.

11. instantrice macrumors newbie

Not everyone's head unit features auxiliary inputs on the back, either.

If your car still has its stock stereo and it doesn't have an Aux input somewhere on the front or feature "iPod connectivity," then rest assured you do not have an auxiliary input on the rear of the unit, either. True there are many aftermarket head units that feature rear-mounted auxiliary RCA jack inputs but I would assume the people who have a stereo with this option would know well enough about the things they buy to not be asking about FM transmitters in the first place. I suppose I could be giving too much credit, in which case it wouldn't hurt to dig out the user manual to verify its capabilities if for some reason an "Aux" option has so far gone unnoticed.

This thing is an option, but there are a lot of compatibility issues that need to be addressed before spending the $100. I can't find any user manuals so I'm not even entirely certain of the way it does its job, but at $100 I'd rather spend another hundred and buy a decent aftermarket car stereo with Aux inputs. If you're unfamiliar with how to install one and don't want to pay to have it installed, then you're back to having to use an FM transmitter.

And a bluetooth to fm transmitter is still just an fm transmitter. The only thing the Bluetooth does is leave the iPod untethered, but in the end the sound you hear is still being modulated through the FM transmitter as is with any other kind.

12. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yup. My Sony inbuilt stock car stereo hasn't got a front aux input either, but does have rear mounted RCA jack unit option. and a lot do too. but why i haven't installed cables myself it because of the hassle (or lack of knowledge) you mention.

and yeah, as you say, if you're prepaired to spent a hundred dollars or so on modding, you might as well pay 100 bucks for a new front aux input stereo with installation. :)

13. instantrice macrumors newbie

obviously im somewhat surprised to even learn that Sony was an optional OEM for some vehicles, let alone that in stock form they featured aux inputs.

slightly off topic, but what make/model car is it that you own? I'd assume it isn't TOO difficult to access those inputs.

14. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

it's a year 1999 Hyunda F2 Coupe. (http://tinyurl.com/7pkswx)

no, it's not too difficult to access. i took the unit out the other week, but i really cant be bothered to wire through the appropriate connections just to satisfy my own rarely used mp3 requirements in the car.

i might just go get a new unit maybe.