FM Transmitters

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wentwj, Nov 4, 2007.

1. wentwj macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    So I got a new job that will require me to travel more on a daily basis. However, I don't suspect my car will be with me for much longer so I'd prefer to not put a new system in it to connect directly to the ipod (do these even work with the iPhones anyway?), so that leaves me with FM transmitters.

I have one that just plain doesn't work at all with my iPhone (had it for my normal iPod). Does anyone know of anything good that works with the iPhone? I understand that there will probably be some GSM Edge noise, but I don't care a whole lot about getting pristine quality out of my FM transmitter, just want to listen to podcasts/audiobooks/music as opposed to the standard radio and can handle a little feedback.

So does anyone have anything that they know works? Ideally I'd like to leave my phone on normally and not have to put it to airplane mode.

I'm having a terrible time look up compatible transmitters, and what posts I've been able to find on message boards seem very mixed. Is there just no good option for this, or is it just not discussed?
  2. wentwj thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    doh, this should be in the accessories forum. Sorry, new to the iPhone section of these boards.
  3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

May 25, 2007
    Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I have a Monster iCarPlay FM Transmitter, and it works fine. Apparently however, it must be unique in all the world, because others have said that this doesn't work, although it works for me everyday (charges my iPhone, broadcasts it through the radio very nicely).

I have been able to use BOTH the iTrip and the Monster iCarPlay. Honestly, all I needed to do the first time was jiggle the connection and it worked beautifully from that moment on. I even got a replacement iPhone, and it worked the moment I connected it... only warning me about "Not being made for iPhone" and asking if I wanted airplane mode. I've yet to find an iPod device my iPhone doesn't work with (excluding video out adapters, which apparently work now, but didn't when I still had one).

When I tried the iPhone with my iTrip, at first the playback came out garbled, but again, after detaching and reattching the device, I made a better connection, and it worked perfectly when the sound was playing from the device (a prerequisite for the iTrip to function).

~ CB