FML updating to ios deletes all apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by GadgetGeek407, Sep 19, 2012.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I updated all my devices and my wife is ready to kill me all her games and everything are gone from iphone and ipad

i noticed on all the other devices same thing everything is gone, why is this? I go under purchased in app store and nothing is there.

Where the hell are all these apps? can I get them off my local machine? is this normal to happen this way? dont remember ios5 doing this!!!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. BFG86 macrumors 6502

You obviously did something wrong.

How do you backup?
    How did you update?
    Were apps being synced to your computer?
    Have you ever "transferred purchases" to your computer before?

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'd also ask if you synced under her account or yours.

All apps can be re-downloaded, if you couldn't be bothered to make a backup. :rolleyes:

4. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Come on, now. iCloud advertises that it backs up automatically, add to that the "PC free" thing they touted with iOS 5. So it's no surprise that many people don't do a manual backup.

I think Apple should seriously consider adding a feature where you can delete an app, but back up its data to iCloud. That way if an accident happens you can easily restore the data. Or you have the option of uninstalling an app, and then when you reinstall it you still have your data. It would be great for games. I had to uninstall Riven because it was taking up too much space. But that also removed the data, so I have to start again. No big deal for me, but it would be a great feature to have in any case. And yes I've sent this to Apple via the feedback page.

I remember one really frustrating event last year where I updated a game on my iPhone via iTunes (this was on iOS 4), something went wrong and it simply disappeared. No error message, nothing. All the game data was gone too. For anyone who knows the Final Fantasy series (it was FF3) you know that it takes a very long time to get through the game, and I was nearing the end.

I got over it quickly, thankfully it was only a game. But if it had been something more important, then that could cause a problem.

----------

It really isn't obvious. Things happen.

----------

It kind of sounds like your iCloud login is acting up. I would try signing out and signing back in (should be under Settings > iTunes & App Stores). If that doesn't fix it... then I'm not sure, sorry. :) Try doing a restore?

5. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Data for apps you delete do stay in the icloud backup unless you turn it off from there. The only problem is that data does not get pulled down if you reinstall the app. It is only accessible if you do a complete restore, which is kind of dumb.

6. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Then they should add the option to retrieve the data upon launching the app. I'm going to go send this to them lol.

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Make sure you go into Settings>(scroll down to)iTunes & App Stores and sign in there. When I updated I was signed out for some reason.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your post makes no sense. You say that with icloud most people aren't going to bother with a backup, yet then you talk about how icloud needs a way to backup app data. Which is it? Either icloud backs up your stuff or it doesn't.
    If icloud doesn't cover things like app data, then skipping a manual backup is out of the question for most of us.

Another question I thought of for the OP: why didn't you do a backup right before updating? Anyone who knows Murphy's law knows the crap happens when you don't have a recent backup.
    I had to learn this years ago when my hd died on my dell and my backup was months old.

9. davelanger macrumors 6502a

He was saying most people with iCloud will not back up to a mac/pc or iTunes when its all in the cloud.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

So the op doesn't back up manually. Understandable.
    But the op doesn't even back up to the cloud either? He screwed up.

Expecting updates to go perfectly is unrealistic and naive.

11. brilllo macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. Turns out all my apps were pushed a page over. Check your third screen.

12. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Same here.

13. RoboCop001, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

It's not that unrealistic or naive. Ideally the OS should prompt the user to do a backup after you tap "Download and Install." Especially if you don't have iCloud backup on and you haven't recently/ever backed up to iTunes. Hell, it should do an iCloud backup (if enabled) when you do this. But it doesn't.

The OP never indicated that they did or did not back up to iCloud. And if they didn't, again, the OS should alert the user saying "You haven't backed up to iCloud or your computer." before installing. It's a super easy addition to the installation process that can make these problems avoidable.

It's supposed to work properly. Sometimes it doesn't. But since it's not made obvious that you should backup, many people don't. And it's not their fault. It should be made obvious via the OS.

14. tey112 macrumors member

When i updated, using iTunes and USB connection, all of my apps disappeared for a while. They all reappeared instantly after a sync. It didn't take long enough to transfer, so they were still on the phone, just not active. Try turning the phone off and on?

So.... good luck?

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you saying that the op shouldn't take personal responsibility for his backups? It sounds to me as though you're saying this is not the op's fault, when it is. I just want to be clear on this.
    Sure, it'd be great if apple had an automated backup before upgrading, but we know people'd bitch wondering why they have to wait for their update to process.

16. irDigital0l Guest

You got the backup right?

Just back it up.

If you don't backup...**** can happen.

17. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nice look what stirred up while I was gone! I figured out the issue. In case anyone else has this situation.

On my iphone i did update from phone and so everything is SLOWLY coming back on the phone.

On my wife's phone and others I did it through the computer cause they were jailbroken. So in this respect I had to go into app store and re download. I particularly freaked out when nothing showed up under purchases but I think its cause the servers are busy tonight. Its all good now.

My only issue now ironically is on my phone cause its saying under photos downloading 1259 of 3043 pictures and its been at this number for a good ten minutes, last few times this happened I had to restore the whole phone which sucks cause I have like 20 gb of stuff 10gb of pics. Any solutions?

18. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I just updated to iOS6 too on my iPad2. Did a typical transfer purchases then a restore from a BACKUP done 10 minutes ago. Lost all 3rd party stuff. Of course I can DL everything again but man...scary. Good thing contacts are in the cloud.

19. Incognegro macrumors newbie

I thought I lost all my apps at first too when I updated to IOS 6, but the new passbook app added a new page to scroll through on the home screen as there was no room for it on the initial home screen. Basically passbook was on the screen all by itself and I had to scroll over to find the rest of my apps.

20. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I updated OTA from iOS 5.0.1 to iOS 6 and all my data stayed. All I had to do was sign into iTunes again. Nothing was wiped off my phone.

21. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I updated from my phone. Noting happened. It didn't even close out the apps I had running before I update it.

22. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I'm saying that because it's advertised as being PC free, as well as iCloud backups that are automatic (even if the user didn't know it was not enabled) many people may think they don't need to do a manual backup.

As well, because it's such an easy addition to the install process (a prompt with a "Backup Now" or "Don't Backup") it would seem obvious to include that in the OS.

----------

Glad to hear it was resolved.

I think this "slow update" thing happened to me, only via a cable update with iTunes. Might have been when I upgraded from a 3G to a 4. All the apps seemed to have gone. but then I noticed they were scattered (out of their folders!) all over several pages and were still installing. Which was weird, because the "Syncing with iTunes" thing should have prevented me from unlocking the phone.

23. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I updated an iPhone and an iPad and in both scenarios it reminded me to do a backup/sync before I upgraded.... In fact the iPad it even went as far as to do a sync/backup during the upgrade process. So yeah, pretty sure Apple is on top of this.

24. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

From experience, despite how easy iCloud backup is, most people don't bother to set that up either. At least not until something happens. :rolleyes:

25. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hm. I've never seen that prompt. Do you have iCloud backup on?
    And was that a cable to iTunes update, or did you do an over the air update? Because I remember iTunes giving me that prompt on my Mac, but not when I did an over the air update.