FML. water damage..if you know anything ab this topic pls help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jaxmcg, Nov 13, 2010.

1. jaxmcg macrumors newbie

jaxmcg

another sob story here about dropping iphones in water..

last night mine fell out of my pocket and into some damp leaves.. it sat there for about 20 mins in the rain until i figured out where it was.

when i got to it the phone was struggling for life.. the screen displayed my missed call but it was very VERY dim. I know the rule about water and electronics so i tried to shut it off but it wasnt responding to my touch... so i had to just leave it.

i held it up to my ear and i could hear things frying.. or crying.. and i assumed this was not good.. i tried a blow dryer on it at medium heat for ab 30 seconds just for good measure.

but still this morning i have nothing. it wont turn on.. and the camera at the back has some condensation build up. right now i have it in a tupperware container of rice to try and suck the moisture out of it and the water sensor in the headphone jack isn't red..

i guess my question is.. how long should i let it sit before i can safely say its a goner? and if it does come back.. will it ever be the same?

has anyone made it to the other side on this matter??

any help is appreciated!!

2. jaxmcg thread starter macrumors newbie

jaxmcg

also.. on a side note i should mention that my phone has been jail broken.

if i go to apple for a repair will they turn me away? :(

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

blow dryer was a BAD BAD idea.

Its throw it in a bag of rice and pray.

4. jaxmcg thread starter macrumors newbie

jaxmcg

aw man... blow dryer no good??
    it was only 30 secs... fml.

i phoned apple and they are making me go to the retail store and pay $229 for apple repair... $199 if your in the states.

apparently apple does cover water damage now.

its in a huge bag of rice and i am def praying something happens before my apple appnt tmrw.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

apple has always had that program. its called out of warranty repair. you will need to leave the iPhone in the rice for several days to have any chance of working. but if you dont take the phone apart most likely it wont work anyway. every part of the phone needs to be dried and more than likely you will get corrosion and that needs to be cleaned as well. if you have no idea what I am talking about you need to take your phone to an independent repair shop in your area that specializes in water damage repair. if not pay the $299 and get it replaced.

make sure you never attempt to charge a phone while it is still wet!