fn and the aluminum keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wmmk, Aug 21, 2007.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hi everyone,
    My aluminum keyboard just arrived in the mail, and I love its ergonomics and design. One problem is that with the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" setting turned on in system prefs, the expose and dashboard keys (F3 and F4) work, but screen brightness, iTunes, and volume keys do not. With the setting turned off, all other function keys work, but F3 and F4 do not. If it matters, I'm using the keyboard with my 2.16 Ghz CD MBP, which has the new keyboard drivers installed. What should/can I do?
    Thanks,
    wmmk

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's odd. I'm sorry I can't help, other than to say I just plugged mine (from my new iMac) into my MBP, installed the update, and all keys worked as I expected them to.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you saying that one set of the keys (depending on the configuration you chose) doesn't work even when you press the Fn key? That's odd.... What effect does the Fn modified key have on those keys? Nothing, or something unexpected?

4. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

Ah, sorry if I was unclear. One set will work without the fn key pressed, and the other set will only work with it pressed. When switching the configuration in system prefs, this works in reverse.

Should I try reinstalling the drivers, or will that just bork things up even more?

5. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I just got a new Apple keyboard, and thought this was the best thread to post my first bit of typing. I works well with my Macbook Pro and looks cool.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, isn't that the way your Macbook works also (granted this is different from the old wired kb, which had no dual use function keys and no Fn key)? I'm sorry, I'm still confused.... :(

7. mikey.f macrumors regular

I have the exact same problem. I can't find a way around!!! :(

I went down to the Apple Store and checked the aluminum keyboards they had with their iMacs and it worked as advertised!! So there must be a way how to get this working.

Hope someone finds out how...