Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goonerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Just wanted to know whether there a small program or script available that will help make the fn key 'sticky'. In other words make it act like the 'CAPS lock' key.

The reason is I love the expose, dashboard etc shortcuts on there but when I'm using ArchiCAD 11, the numbered function keys are very important to me and I hate having to take my hand off the mouse to hold down the fn key to enable it.

Is there any other way to make the fn key 'sticky' at all instead of having to go through System Pref. to turn it on/off all the time?

tri3limited

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
London
You can do the following to swap the mode over, i suggest creating an automator script which turns it on and off.

"Use F1-F12 keys as standard function keys" under Preferences >> Keyboard & Mouse >> Keyboard

Thats fairly handy for me in Motion 3... i never bothered setting up a script. Although it would be nice in a stack on the dock :D

Wooglin

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Automator question

I'd like help making that automator script tri3limited suggested. I play games that use the function keys and continuously have to go back and forth through the system pref, takes time.
I'm looking in automator and I can't find any way to control the system prefs. (New to macs and automator).
Could anyone walk me through it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.