Fnally got my Mac but..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lucorphine, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Lucorphine macrumors newbie

Hello I finally got my Macbook yesterday this is my first mac and I am trying to getting used to it (well not having a hard time at all)

The problems I have is:
    1- I have three episodes of prison break but they are avi and have .srt subtitles... Quicktime can not open it. Which codecs I have to download for quicktime so I can play all formats with it? And is there a way I can use .srt files with quicktime?

2-I unchecked drag locking but it sill doesnt releases the stuff when I release my tapping...

3-Is there a way I can Use safari and other stuff full screen like in windows? I couldnt find it yet.

4-I still can not find a shortcut to delete stuff permanently (windows : shift+delete)

I think this is all for now... Thanks for your help. It is really nice wo own a mac...:D

2. Lucorphine thread starter macrumors newbie

ah forgot about it:
    5- I am using Messenger for mac... But it doesnt has webcam support like in windows. How can I have video conversation with my friends using microsoft messenger ?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. MPEG StreamClip can convert basically anything into anything else.

3. You don't want full screen. OS X isn't made for full screen. The Maximize button in OS X doesn't do full screen, it makes the window as large as the content needs it to be.

4. Right-click, Move To Trash. Delete from there.

5. You can't. Use iChat or Adium.

4. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I recommend VLC for all your visual needs as it will play nearly every single video file possible

It will also support your subtitle files with the video and has many more features than quicktime

And best of all its free!

6. Lucorphine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for quick replies... I understand the fullscreen thing yeah I definetly do not need it... It is just an old habit. Perian works real good for now maybe I wll try VLC later on... And about messenger aMSN works real good...

Now just question 2 left ... why "drag lock" still applies to my draggings even I unchecked it already?
    (sorry for bad english, my native language is not english)

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I think you just have to wait a second before you move your mouse again. I don't know why though.

But the button on the mouse is I think better. Now, I don't even tap. I use the button all the time. You have more control.

And don't worry, your english is good enough. :)

8. munson macrumors 6502

munson

1. VLC is THE ONLY application you will ever need for video files.
    2. ?
    3. Why would you want that?
    4. Move to trash, empty trash securely (found when you open the trash)