FNE 3.5 keeps freezing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by papa792, Dec 31, 2008.

1. papa792 macrumors member

I am trying to capture this footage in Hd. The capture window keeps freezing when it is processing the footage. What can be wrong?

Attached Files:

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

3. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

I believe its firewire 400 the one that looks similar to a usb

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Yep, that's 400. Are you capturing though a tape deck or cable from your camera? If it's the tape deck I would try to get a FireWire 800 cable or if your camera has a 800 port. What is the HD resolution (1080x1920 or 720x1280) you are capturing in and what do you have in Easy Setup? It could be that the 400 isn't fast enough so it's freezing up and "dying":eek:.

5. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

I am capturing straight from my camera. My easy setup is on HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60. Im not sure what the HD resolution is but i believe its 1080x1920.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

OK, those settings sound good. I think your problem is the slow cable. Does it display a dropping frames error message wen it stops or just what's in the screenshot?

7. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Well right when i hit capture it will start lagging...and it would say how much % its lagging with the monitor. But i have not seen an error..it would just freeze and i would have to do a force quit. I dont see why it would be the cable because it was not like this before.

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ok, how much space is available on the HD you are capturing to?

9. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

I am capturing to a external HD which has 230Gb free space.

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Then that's obviously fine. What are you computer specs?

11. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

and 200Gb internal.

Attached Files:

12. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

This is quite confusing. I would PM a very knowledgeable member, -DH, he will probably be able to take a look at the thread and troubleshoot this. He might post here too. He seems to post in many Digital Video threads.

13. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

could you get him to look at this?

14. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I can PM him or you can. I'll take care of it for you though.

15. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks..let me know what happens

16. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I just PMed him. Hope you can figure this sticky situation out!

17. -DH macrumors 65816

I assume you're capturing HDV ... is that correct?

If so, HDV has a slightly lower data rate than DV (due to it's very high compression) so Firewire 400 will work fine. If the camcorder you're capturing from is connected to the same Firewire bus as the drive where the data is being captured, it will only capture at FW100 (camcorders and VTRs are FW 100 devices). But both DV and HDV data rates are still well under that.

I don't work with HDV, but I believe that during the capture process, FCE/FCP converts from HDV to AIC or ProRes which means the data processing (writing to the hard drive) will lag behind the capture - I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

Essentially, the computer has to take in the long GOP MPEG-2 stream (HDV) from the camera and convert it to a frame based format for editing. MPEG-2 only has one full frame ("I frame" ) for every 15. The 14 'frames' that follow the I frame only contain data that has changed since the I frame**. The rest of the data that was contained in those frames gets thrown out. That's how HDV is compressed so they can get 60 minutes of HD footage on the same tape that holds 60 minutes of SD footage.

So the computer has to create 14 frames for every GOP and that gets rather processor intensive and the capture lags.

If it isn't HDV, then I'd suspect a data rate or throughput issue.

-DH

18. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Yea i am trying to capture HDV... i have to sony z1u

19. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

This is all very interesting, but I thought that GOPs and I-frame where only used in compressing, esp. for the web. So when capturing HDV FCP automatically converts to MPEG-2 using I-frames and GOPs? Is there a way to avoid this by using AIC or ProRes? I read the tutorial on Kenstone.net and I didn't catch anything about converting to MPEG-2.

20. -DH macrumors 65816

No, no, NO. HDV IS MPEG-2. Which is why it is difficult to work with. Which is why you should capture as ProRes.

-DH

21. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

So no to I-frames and GOPs? No to converting to MPEG-2 because it IS MPEG-2? Capture with ProRes? What exactly does ProRes do? Convert the video to a different format, compress it with a codec? I get the HDV thing, finally I think.

22. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

What should i do about it freezing?

23. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Sorry, that was a question for -DH.