FNM and FRE

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I can only imagine how bad this will get tomorrow.

I would love to hear your opinions.

personal have 25k shares FNM and 29K shares FRE.

Let's chat.

Who has what? Are you long or short? Selling tomorrow or buying?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm short financials in ETFs, so I expect some pain in a few hours as the market celebrates on the deck of their Titanic.

I feel bad for the FNM and FRE bagholders. Oh, wait, every single taxpayer just became one, too. :rolleyes:

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is exactly the point. Investors choose to take risks in the hope of a reward, whereas taxpayers have no choice in bailing out greedy, and incompetent banks which have made short-sighted (if fashionable) investments.

It is the old idea of privatising profit and nationalising loss. If taxpayers are to be expected to carry the can for the incompetence of the financial sector, surely Government has a role in regulating how taxpayers' money ought to be spent. I don't see how banks can have it both ways in that they seek to privately pocket profits and off load losses publicly.

Yes, there is the argument that the whole integrated system will come tumbling down if rescue (or bailout) is not permitted, but where is the sanction for those at the top? If vast profits are used as the excuse to justify obscene bonuses, what penalty attaches to monumental incompetence and spectacular mis-judgement?
    Cheers

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sorry, you yourself have 25k in FNM and 29k in FRE? or am I miss-reading this, this seems a bit fishy coming from someone who posts alot of very elaborate threads... also, didn't you say in another thread that you lost 85k, please, explain that one too us...

Can't wait for jessica. to spot this thread :p

5. shecky Guest

shecky

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I love your posts Greg - don't let these guys get you down.:D
    You a stunna!;)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, if I'm honest so do I; they make my day - amuse me, appall me, (educate me) and make my fingers itch to hit an aluminium keyboard; so, yes, Greg - keep em coming. You make our lives richer in myriad ways. And disagreements about economic perspectives are always worth airing.
    Cheers

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

For some reason when I saw this.. I was thinking "is this a new swinging term". Way to many episodes of "swing town". You know FMM, FFM, FMF etc...

Sorry, back to the topic at hand.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You would've thought by now the OP would just setup a new account to dodge the constant banter...