Focal Length 35mm equiv. in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tea-Aholic, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Hi, does anyone know how I can change the focal length display under the histogram from it's digital format to its 35mm equivalent? I can't find it in Lightroom preferences. I'm currently using Lightroom 3.4.1.

Thanks for the help.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I'm pretty sure that Lightroom will not display focal lengths as 35mm equivalents. It's not even an option in the info overlay (cmd-I). I'm not sure what you mean by "digital format," however. The focal length you used is not a digital setting; it's a simple matter of lens optics. A 50mm focal length is the same on any camera, as far as the physics of the optics go. What differs is the field of view that you get on cameras with different sensor sizes: smaller sensors capture less of the area visible through the lens.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I don't know if you can do it under the histogram, but if you choose EXIF in the drop down menu in the metadata panel in the library module you'll get the focal length in 35mm equivalent lengths. Not what you're asking for, but at least you can get at that info somewhere!

Attached Files:

4. Tea-Aholic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, I'm still new to digital photography and I just learnt all about photography jargon (aperture (f number), zoom (telephoto wide angle, focal length), etc.

I know that at 4.43mm my cameras 35mm equivalent is at 25mm and at 17.7 my camera's 35mm equivalent is at 100mm.

Knowing that my sensor size is 1/2.3" how to I work out the 35mm equivalent? Is there a mathematical formula?

EDIT: Sorry, how do I view metadata in Lightroom?
    I think the 35mm metadata is only available in some camera models. My iPhone 4S displays this but my camera doesn't.

5. Phrasikleia, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

In the Library module, look under the Metadata tab. It has a drop-down menu with different options, one of which is EXIF.

Hmm. I think you may be right about that. I just looked at what it said for my cameras, and the "Focal Length 35mm" bit isn't listed.

6. Edge100 macrumors 68000

25/4.43 = 5.63
    100/17.7 = 5.65

Approximate "crop factor" is 5.65.

Of course, the actual focal length of the lens is completely and entirely independent of the sensor size. Only the angle of view changes.