Focal XS Satellite vs Bose Companion 5

havok44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
I was looking at buying one of these two from the apple store and was wondering what everyone has thought of them.

I do appreciate it when posters also reccommend other speaker brands in the thread, but i would like to warn that I need to purchase from the apple online store as I have a decent sized giftcard, and i sorely want better speakers (currently have bose companion 3s) for my new imac 27inch

nyguy4u

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I'd personally pass on both, and buy the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks 2. They have excellent reviews, and despite what others say, sound pretty good (my wife has a pair). Plus, the Apple online store carries them.

You'll get better mid's and high's with the Bose - but they lack bass. The Sound Sticks have a pretty decent low end, but also lack a headphone out, if you need it.

Comment

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
If you need the loudness in the compact package try something like the Blue Sky EXO 2.1.

Check this thread. I also recommend a trip to your local Apple Store which should have both models available for in-store testing

While iThink that the Focals are overpriced for the 30 minutes I spent listening to them. The detail and depth of the audio is significantly better then the Sound Sticks.

Comment

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
If the Focals are anything like their A/V speakers, you can't go wrong. They make some of the finest speakers and drivers in the world. Have a pair of Focals myself for my home audio. Run laps around Bose.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.