Focus speeds when using Aperture Priority vs Manual Mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sapporobaby, Nov 3, 2011.

1. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I hope my topic didn't confuse anyone. The short of it is:

Last night I was at a local camera club meeting here in Helsinki. One of the guest speakers was discussing shooting concerts and that she shoots on Manual Mode because her camera (Canon 7D) autofocuses faster in Manual Mode than it does on either the Aperture Priority or Speed Priority modes. Has anyone experienced this as well? I shoot a Nikon D3S and have not seen any difference in the autofocus in the three different shooting modes. I was not aware that they were linked in anyway.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I would not have thought it effected focus speed. Total lag from pressing the shutter to taking the picture, perhaps. In aperture or shutter priority the camera has to focus, calculate exposure then expose. In manual mode the calculate exposure part is removed.

3. sapporobaby thread starter macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Ah, okay. Maybe this is what she means but I still do not see where the exposure mode has an effect on the autofocus.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Neither do I. I've certainly not noticed any difference in autofocus speed with my 7D when shooting in different modes.

5. sapporobaby thread starter macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Just spoke to one of my camera friends. He more or less agrees with you. He said that it could be a "brain" trick where if you already believe it, then it becomes fact. Maybe yes, maybe no. I will do some tests tomorrow on my D3S to see if there is a difference.

6. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I just tested this on a d7000 and no, i would argue that this is not measurable in human times.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking where in helsinki was that club? I live outside of khi but still would be interested to meet fellow photographers..

7. sapporobaby thread starter macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Sent you a private message...

Where is khi...

8. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

khi = hki = Helsinki :) heheheh