Focusrite saffire 6 usb

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by XpeachX, Nov 18, 2010.

1. XpeachX macrumors newbie

I want to buy my boyfriend an audio interface for xmas but I have no idea which one to buy. He just has a simple macbook and I have been told about the fosucrite saffire 6 usb. Would this work with his macbook? He is studying music tech (djing & producing etc). I do not have a high budget as I am only a student and I actually have no idea what all this stuff is and is used for...so simple answers will really help me out.. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems that way.

from http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_6_usb/

Btw, there is not much difference between MB and MBP except CPU and GPU and building materials and the Firewire 800 port.

3. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Personally, based on what I have seen (I use higher end Apogee firewire interfaces), I would recommend the Emu 0404 USB instead of the Focusrite. It is $185 at Amazon and the only possible drawback is that it requires external (i.e. 120 VAC) power as opposed to being bus-powered directly from the USB port. If that is not a problem for your boyfriend, that seems to be the best of the inexpensive USB interfaces.

I have no idea of what to recommend for a bus-powered device. The Focusrite regularly gets trashed on some of the music forums for reliability issues.

4. ChrisA, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

ChrisA macrumors G4

At that price point, I like the Presonus "Audiobox". The trouble there are so many. The one you picked is good, maybe even better. It helps to think about exactly how this box will be used. It it for recording instruments, microphones, line-out from a keyboard? All of the above?

Some of the things to look at might seen trivial but do matter. For example where does the headphones plugin, front of back. Are there controls on the top of the box or are they on the front. Are there independent headphone and monitor speaker volume controls? Does the Box have MIDI, Do you need MIDI?

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I have an 0404 in white for sale if you're interested...PM me !

6. miscend macrumors member

The 0404 USB has driver issues on OSX Snow Leopard.

Anyway are the converters/pre-amps on the 0404 almost as good as the Apogees?