Folder Actions Not working??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Sep 16, 2008.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have never had much luck with FolderActions. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Here's what I want FolderActions to do for me:

Run this script:
    Code:
    set testString to "find ~/Dropbox \\( -type f -name \"*.torrent\" \\) -exec cp {} ~/Movie\\ Torrents \\;"
    do shell script testString 
    Now I attach this to my Dropbox folder so that when I put a torrent in the folder it gets copied to my Movie Torrents folder where I have Transmission waiting to begin a new torrent. The only thing is, when I change this folder nothing happens. In fact, I've never gotten FolderActions to work consistently. I even tried adding an "delay 5" to the beginning of the script to make sure the file had copied entirely. Anyone?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not at my Mac so can't check, but I don't think the brackets are valid, are they? At least, I've never used brackets in similar commands.

In Linux this works directly from the command line:
    find ~/Dropbox -type f -name "*.torrent" -exec cp {} ~/Movie\ Torrents \;

but this returns an error:
    find ~/Dropbox ( -type f -name "*.torrent" ) -exec cp {} ~/Movie\ Torrents \;

Try each of these directly in Terminal first ... see if they work in OS X.

Edit: Was able to ssh into my Mac at home - for some reason it hasn't gone to sleep. The second command returns the same error as in Linux.