Folder alarms and size thresholds: is there an app for that?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrism2202, Jan 12, 2012.

1. chrism2202 macrumors newbie

chrism2202

Howdy,

Just a quick question that I was hoping to get an answer on:

Problem: I want to 'watch' a folder and get 'notified' when it reaches a certain size.

What's the best way to do that? is there an application that has this as a feature, or would an appleScript be better suited for this ?

Welcome suggestions and ideas.
    Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know of any app that does that, but I'm curious as to why this is needed, since you can easily see the folder size in Finder whenever you put something in it. Why would you need to limit the size of a folder, anyway?

3. chrism2202 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrism2202

True; I can easily look at the info for folder size, but I forget to do that when I'm working. I'm archiving MP3's or creating HTML/CSS templates and I want to be able to archive off to a ThumbDrive or a DVD when the folder is a certain size. That way, All my archives have the same size.

ideas?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My best recommendation is to use an external drive and Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your entire hard drive, then keep that clone current with automatic incremental backups. Then you don't have to worry about the size of any folder, as everything you have will be backed up. That would be more secure than a thumb drive or DVD.

5. chrism2202 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrism2202

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. I already have that going. I want to archive data off my MAIN DRIVE and OUT of the Backup in an accessible form, i.e. DVD or Thumb Drive.

I just need a notification method for when a folder reaches a certain size. other ideas?

6. chrism2202 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrism2202

This shell script will do niicely...

#!/bin/bash

DIRSIZE=`du -sh $1 | cut -f 1`

echo $DIRSIZE

I'll wrap an apple script around it to kick it off once a week and read the value.
    ka-chick! Done.