Folder based media player

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MacBH928, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

If you know a stable app that I can organize my videos in folders and the same for the audio I would appreciate. Its ok if they are 2 separate apps one for each.

Currently adding video to my iPad will put them in the video library and they are not organized, its a mess and its hard to find what I want.

I know I can do this with dropbox, but I want it local my iOS device.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Several third-party apps have folder support. Need a list of them, created by me? (I've tested all players in this regard too.)

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

@ Menneisyys2

Why not? I just need a media player with folder support that works, not crash and jitters. I heard this was an issue as most apps have problem with larger files. I also want it to store ON THE iPAD , not stream from my computer.

thanx

@ gorskiegangsta

which one do you use?

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

GoodPlayer is a generic player knowing almost all existing multimedia formats. Phone Drive is only able to play back native iOS formats (MP4, MOV, MPV, M4V / WAV, MP3, M4A, CAF, AIF, AIFF, AAC).

If the files you plan to play back belong strictly to the latter category, you can give it a try.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

If you want the most reliable info on iOS multimedia players, make sure you read thru my articles and posts here at MacRumors. I very frequently post reviews of iOS players.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I have and use both - GoodPlayer exclusively for videos & streaming from NAS; PhoneDrive for downloaded music/docs/pics/pdfs/etc..

7. Dukat macrumors regular

I've used Good Player for a long time; however they recently pulled some codec support out in their latest update including AC3. Half my videos now have no sound.

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Do what I recommended in several of my posts: 1, convert (downmix) the tracks to AAC or 2, switch to another player.

See for example this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16020601&postcount=59

Also let me know if you need a full list of my posts here at MacRumors explaining AC-3 conversion OR selecting the (currently) best players with AC-3 support.

9. Dukat macrumors regular

Menneisyys2,

What players still support AC3, and do you know if they plan to keep the support?

Thanks

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

The Dolby folks seem to hunt down all AppStore devs with multimedia players with AC-3 so no AppStore app seems to be safe / protected from the removal. Therefore, I can only provide you with a list of players (still) with AC-3 but that doesn't mean they won't remove it, say, tomorrow.

Currently, most media players (still) support AC-3, with the major exceptions being Good/Power/BUZZ Player. It's Playing, ProPlayer, XBMC, RushPlayer etc. are (still) supporting it.

11. Dukat, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Dukat macrumors regular

Picked up, "It's Playing" today.

The actual video playback is nice. You can easily adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, playback speed.
    Gesture control to skip forward and backwards at set increments (10s, 30s). I wish it had the forward/backward drag feature VLC player has.

The 2 dissapointments is there's no wifi transfer server which I've come to expect as a default feature in these kinds of apps. It also lacks the ability to queue up files for download which is annoying because SMB transfers on it are quite slow.

I'm also used to dozens of settings in GoodPlayer. Very few settings in It's Playing, and the couple there are can only be accessed once you launch a video. Strange interface.

Ran a 4.4gig, 720p MKV movie on GoodPlayer and It's Playing for comparison.

The file ran butter smooth on It's Playing. GoodPlayer would randomly stutter and occasionally show artifacts.

A cool feature of It's Playing is the ability to pinch zoom during playback and scroll around the video.

I'm very pleased with It's Playing's video playback ability, but the interface outside of the video (settings/file transfer, etc) is poor not to mention no ability to queue downloads and no wifi transfer.

Perhaps in a future update? :)

Hopefully they keep AC3 support.

*note* It's Playing will only do hardware acceleration if the file is local (not streamed) and in one of several formats. My test with both apps was local and hardware acceleration was turned on in GoodPlayer as well.

12. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

The lack of HW acceleration over streaming is common with most players. For example, only exPlayer HD is able to play back native iOS video files (mp4 / mov / m4v) over SMB or FTP using hardware acceleration (the other players can do this with software decoding, if at all).

Too bad it's just dropped AC-3, DTS and RM support (see THIS).