Folder comparison tool/Finder "Get info"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macstatic, May 22, 2013.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to determine if a backup drive of mine has an identical set of files/folders as the source drive, so I've used Finder's "Get info" on one (parent) folder at a time for the source and backup drives. It's very time consuming, so a tool for this would be great. However, all the "compare" tools I've tried really don't do what I want -I believe they're more for comparing the text content of files for changes. I just want to know if I have the same number of files in both folders and if their filesizes are the same (hence assuming they're not damaged or altered in any way).

Another thing: I've noticed that sometimes "Get info" gives me different results from the source and backup drive folders (differing sizes in bytes although the number of files match). Is this something to be concerned about? The strange thing is that many folders report the exact same file sizes while others differ -no consistency.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Synchronize! Pro X will compare all files and reports if they are different, you can use it for comparing files when in trail, if you want to sync it costs money.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Well, if it doesn't, it's no backup! :p

How was the backup made?

As mentioned, various sync tools will do a comparison or show you what would be synced if you did do a sync.

Things like this are of course what shell scripts are so good at. I would be surprised if you couldn't find one on the web somewhere.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

The suggestion of using Synchronize! Pro X got me looking into Chronosync (which I've already purchased). I found out that it has a trial sync function which helped, though not as intuitive as I was hoping for specifically comparing folder contents. However I've managed to check the drive and all's good now.

Actually I have myself to blame for messing things up as I stupidly started to reorganize things on that drive before making a new backup. Part of the reorganizing was done with Adobe Bridge which crashed, so that's when I started to get worried I had lost files.
    I've learnt my lesson -never mess around with stuff before doing a backup (or updating the backup!).