Folder contents (filename, size, date) data to Numbers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orbdrums, Apr 23, 2011.

1. orbdrums macrumors member

I used to take a folder in Finder and drag it to my printer driver icon on my desktop and save it as a .pdf, open the .pdf, copy the contents to TextEditor, then copy and paste from TextEditor to Numbers. I know that convoluted but it worked. With Snow Leopard that does not work anymore. Any suggestions on how to get the folder filename and stats to Numbers? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

That gave me a list of filenames but no associated stats (size, date) and that's what I'm looking for. I have an applescript that runs and compares filenames but I need the stats that go with the files.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you try Terminal with the ls command, if so here are further options that I think will get what you want:

ls command

4. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

I'm more or less familiar with the ls command but I am having problems getting to my removable hard drive with the cd command. If I can change directories to my USB drive that would solve my problem.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you know you can drag a folder on to the Terminal window and it will fill in the appropriate path?

6. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

I did not know that! Thank you. Now I guess I have to do my 'ls' command parameter homework. I don't have a problem reading, which I will do, but might you have the parameter I need for file stats using the 'ls' command?

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I use Terminal very seldom, but I think ls -l might be what you want.

8. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

That is the option that I need and thanks again! I guess I've been spoiled for too long with the old drag and drop thing. Plus I come from the Microsoft world which seems to complicate thing unnecessarily! Thanks again for your help!

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad I could be of help.