Folder date update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gslrider, Oct 21, 2013.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Why doesn't os x update folder dates when new files are added to it via subfolder. Eg. I imported an audio CD to iTunes. I couldn't track the imported songs down because no folder updated itself to today's date. As I normally expect any folder date would be updated to the last known date it was modified. I finally tracked the imported files to a folder titled Unknown Artists which has a date of September 2, 2009. But when you open that folder you can see another folder titled Unknown Album, and that folder has today's date. Why doesn't the host folder update as well?

2. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I've always wondered the same thing. There are some workarounds to this but out shouldn't be necessary for something like this... Also iirc I think you can do select all in the iTunes folder, then press the right arrow key and then sort by date.

3. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

I agree, this shouldn't be something one has to find a workaround. It's a basic OS function. Unfortunately, it will only sort the folders you see within the iTunes folder. It won't show or sort by date the subfolders. You literally have to go into each folder, and sometimes subfolders to find the folder your looking for. Which can take forever. Like giving someone your address but leaving out the house #. Leaving it up to them to find your house on your street. Would you happen to know what the workaround is?

4. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

If you're trying to see where it's putting them while it's importing, you can run fseventer while it's importing to watch filesystem changes. If you just want you to update the date manually you can use sudo touch /path/to/folder.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Or you could use something like PathFinder which does exactly what the OP wants updates the directory shown with the last time/date it was accessed ie. you put new files in it.

Edit:

That is not the modified (mtime) you want the atime the last time it was accessed shown.

6. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider