Folder help please..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gix1k, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I have folders with a bunch of files in them...How can I make the Mac tell me how many items are in the folder? In Windows when you open a folder, on the bottom it says "30 items". I highlighted them all and did get info and 200 little boxes popped up on my screen...Ugh!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Rather than select all of the items, select the folder that they are contained in and choose Get Info.

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Finder view menu "Show Status Bar", Finder will then show number of files when you open the folders. I think what you want is Right click in the Finder window and select Show View Options and check Show Item Info this will then show the number of items in each folder in the Finder Window

Q-6

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

In Finder, select the folder and tap the spacebar - it will invoke Quicklook

Attached Files:

6. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

This is exactly what I wanted....THANKS!!!!!

7. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

This is one of the things I always turn back on after I've reinstalled or got a new machine and haven't migrated the settings over.

8. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Still trying to get used to OSx. At this point I still have to go back to Windows to do things I can't figure out on OSx.

9. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

One of the things that irritates me the most about the Finder vs Windows (or any other file interface), is that it treats a folder like any other file. I would like a listing where folders are on top, and files below, like in Windows. I get some poor approximation of that by using "arrange by kind," so all folders are together. But really, I'm just interested in two kinds: folders and non-folders. Inside these two categories I would like to sort by data, name etc. Any other file interface (on computer or online) uses that convention, but not OS X.

10. coreyk macrumors newbie

coreyk

If you hold down the Control key, you'll see the File -> Get Info menu item change to Get Summary Info. This will give you a summary of everything you've highlighted. Or you can press Control-Command-I to do the same thing.

11. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

OR, highlight a folder in Finder and tap the spacebar.