Folder help required for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slappy1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Slappy1 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm startin this topic in the hope that some kind person can help me. I recently bought a brand spanking new Macbook Pro and to help enhance one of my fave games Im told that I need to create folders. I have done this successfully ( I think ) as I have 2 purple folders in my main folder. As told I have named one data and the second graphics and this is where my problem lies. I need the folder I have called graphics within my first folder and it blocks it when I try to do it ( or drag and drop if you know what I mean by this ), so Im wondering if anyone can help me in my moment of need. Please be aware that Im just finding my feet with my Macbook Pro and Im not the most computer illererate person in the world either so if you are able to help, please make it as easy as possible to understand. Im currently pulling out all my hair which isnt a good thing as Im starting to resemble my dad !!!!!!:(

Many thanks in advance for all your help

Kindest Regards

Shaun aka Slappy

2. desertman, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

desertman macrumors 6502a

Your main folder structure for your documents should look like this:

- Harddrive
    - - Users
    - - - Username
    - - - - Documents

Documents is something like your personal file cabinet and in here you should create your personal folders like "data" and "graphics". Is that how it is on your computer, or did you create "data" and "graphics" somewhere else than in "Documents"? If not, can you create these folders there (whith "graphics" beeing a sub-folder of "data") and can you then drag the contents of the old "graphics" folder into the new "graphics" folder (you do this best by having them open in separate windows next to each other)?

3. Slappy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi desertman, thanks for the quick reply my friend. After clicking on the big documents folder after opening it up Im confronted with anothetr sub folder entitled Sports Interactive ( the games manufactuer ) now within this I need to create a folder the data folder and with the data folder have a seperate folder called graphics but so far I have 2 new freshly created purple folders, the first being called data and the second being graphics and I cant find anyway of moving my graphics folder into my data folder as everything seems to block it or minimise and I cant see a way around it even after reading your helpful tips my friend

:confused: <---- This is exactly how I look right now !!!!!

4. desertman macrumors 6502a

Ok, if I understand you correctly it looks in the moment like this:

- Documents
    - - Sports Interactive
    - - - data
    - - - graphics

And you want to have it like this:

- Documents
    - - Sports Interactive
    - - - data
    - - - - graphics

Is that correct?

5. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I'm wondering why your folders are purple. That sounds like smart folders which would explain why you can't drop one folder on top of the other.

6. desertman macrumors 6502a

Correct! This went unnoticed by me because I never use Smart Folders.

Slappy1, you have to create "normal" folders. Either through the Finder menu (File -> New Folder) or with the keyboard command [Command + Shift + N].

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I've been on the Mac for almost 10 years now and have never used a smart folder.... what's the point of them?

8. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I use smart folders in the sidebar of Finder under Mountain Lion to show me my recently used items from "today" and "yesterday". Sometimes that just helps me locate something a little bit faster.

9. Slappy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice desertman Im going to try this now as I previously explained Im completely new this Macbook Pro, so Im still learning the ropes. So please an you tell me what a smart folder is and the difference between that and a normal folder

Once again many thanks everyone