Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tikklemynuts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Ok, about 2 months back i formatted my IPOD and started fresh by re-installing all the music i had stored on my hard drive. My problem is all my full CD's that on my hard drive are stored in my IPOD in about 2-3 folders each. Each folde containing about 4 or 5 of the tracks from the CD.:confused:

Prior to putting them all on my IPOD i made sure that all CD's and the tracks within had the identical track names and title info. So i am perplexed as to why this is happening.

Hope that i am not beating a dead horse by posting this question, but oculdnt seem to find an answer anywhere...

thanks folk..:D
shawn

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm not sure I understand. :eek:

You reformatted the iPod and now you have double ups? Do they appear in iTunes? If so, you can select Show Duplicate Songs from the Edit menu and manually delete the surplus tracks. :)

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
The problem is with the id3 tags. Make sure the ID3 tags are absolutely identical. The best way to do this is to select all the tracks of a single album in iTunes, right Click, Get info and put the name of the album and the artist there. This will solve your problem. Guarantee :)

Edit: Off course you'll need to update your iPod afterwards

tikklemynuts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
mad jew said:
I'm not sure I understand. :eek:

You reformatted the iPod and now you have double ups? Do they appear in iTunes? If so, you can select Show Duplicate Songs from the Edit menu and manually delete the surplus tracks. :)

sorry may have misled you there..
Itunes has all the tracks. One time only. No duplicates. But when i copy the entire library to my ipod, then spin to Music>Albums and find the album i want to listen to, there is 2 or 3 copies of that album folder, and if there is say 10 songs in total in that album, those 10 are now split into 3 different folders. So i have to listen to one folder, then go back, and listen to the second folder, then the third. Seems really odd.!!!

thanks for the reply and help!

Labi said:
The problem is with the id3 tags. Make sure the ID3 tags are absolutely identical. The best way to do this is to select all the tracks of a single album in iTunes, right Click, Get info and put the name of the album and the artist there. This will solve your problem. Guarantee :)

Edit: Off course you'll need to update your iPod afterwards

Labi, blame my blatant stupidity, but i cannot believe that i didn't think of that at all. Why i don't know. It's a simple answer to the problem, isnt it!

I will give that a shot this eve and let it update. Thanks for the help!!!!!
Awesome!:D :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, does the iTunes Browser have the same problem? Does it also see multiple versions of the same album? If so, then I'd try Labi's excellent advice. :)

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
tikklemynuts said:
Labi, blame my blatant stupidity, but i cannot believe that i didn't think of that at all. Why i don't know. It's a simple answer to the problem, isnt it!

I will give that a shot this eve and let it update. Thanks for the help!!!!!
Awesome!:D :D

Good you asked for help. I had the same problem months ago and didn't ask, and when I wanted to play a whole album, I used to make a playlist. That was a hassle. When I figured out the problem, I was happy and ashamed at the same time. Now whenever I have a problem, I post it because the good people of this forum are more then happy to help. They (Lacero in particular) recovered my dead iPod once https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1770495#post1770495

tikklemynuts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Labi said:
Good you asked for help. I had the same problem months ago and didn't ask, and when I wanted to play a whole album, I used to make a playlist. That was a hassle. When I figured out the problem, I was happy and ashamed at the same time. Now whenever I have a problem, I post it because the good people of this forum are more then happy to help. They (Lacero in particular) recovered my dead iPod once https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1770495#post1770495

It's good to know people will help instead of flaming the folk who just havent had the experience they do. Always make you think about how and where you post sometimes.

I am a newb here but look forward to helping where i can and getting help when needed!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.