Folder Icon not changing at my command

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Snakel3ite, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Snakel3ite macrumors newbie

I am trying to change an icon on a regular folder in the user folder

so I did what was instructed in another post - so I went to System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle[ShowPackageContent]/Contents/Resources Opened an icon in Preview and Edit Copy THEN went back to the folder and did Cmd+I, then clicked on the small preview of the icon and Cmd+V - nothing happens.

Where did I go wrong? I used the same procedure for the HD icon... cept I went to /Library/MachineTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources to get the MacBook (Alum) icon. But no different still an icon.

So, where... did, I go wrong? :confused:

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

why are you messing around right inside the program directories?

Click the link in my signature and you'll find an easier way.

3. Snakel3ite thread starter macrumors newbie

I want a specific Mac Pro icon... but if I do it the Get Info method, all I get is the icon like a pdf only saying ICN - so how do I get it w/o using third-party apps?

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

what type of file is it? The apps I have in my thread (linked to in my signature below) are free.

Xcode comes with the OS X install discs, and the other one is a small app that works perfectly for converting Icns files.

If it shows as a "unix excecutable" file, I would screen shot it, crap the image out, then put it through the icon creator, and convert it to Rsrc format. Seems complicated but it's pretty easy.

The harder ones are when you need photoshop to erase the backgrounds. Other then that, it's easy as pie!