Folder Icons to .PNG for editing.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by iTim314, Jul 6, 2007.

1. iTim314 macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to get into customizing the look of my computer, and I wanted to change the look of some of my folders to my own liking.

Is there anyway I can take the icon attached to a folder, change it into a PNG (or other) file to edit, then turn my new image into an icon file to put on my custom folders?

Thanks for helping one of many noobs out there. :)

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

To extract the icon, I usually do this:

- Click the folder that uses the icon you want, and Get Info on it :)apple: + I)
    - In the Info window, click the folder's icon in the top-left of the window once so that it's selected, and copy it. :)apple: + C)
    - Open Preview.app, and choose New From Clipboard :)apple: + N). That should paste the large icon image file into Preview, transparency and all.
    - You can now save that :)apple: + shift + S) as an image file. Choose a format that uses transparency (PNG is best) and make sure the Alpha box is checked.

Now you can open that PNG in your image editing program.

When you're done, save it again as PNG with transparency and throw it at CocoaThumbX (freeware) to convert it to the icon format. By default, some "enhancements" are checked like reflection and drop shadow, so make sure to turn that stuff off. ;)