Folder Locations ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avzone, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Avzone macrumors 6502

Avzone

Hello, I am quite new to learning the ins and outs of my mac that I have been using for other applications for the last few years.
    I've just been scrolling around my finder in Osx 3 and wondered why some of my main folders (like applications) are in My Hard drive and some are in under MY home (house icon). As far as I can remember everytime I install anything I just click on the Hard Disc Icon and thats it, But I have some apllications in 1 and some in other and documents folder only in my home folder etc.
    Can someone tell me :
    Why is this the case ?
    Is it best me change it ?

Also How do I give my mac a basic weekly check so that it is running at optimum level ?

I very much appreciate an questions answered and for your time.;)

This seems to be a very cool site/ forum, something I need as most people I talk to, if not all are Window Heads and think mac is something thats for the rich or snobs... (if only they new the simplicity of it):D

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Things in your hard drive are available to all users on your computer; things in your home folder are available only to you. It's a little more complicated than that, obviously, but that's the general idea.

A few applications will install themselves to an applications folder in your home, but most will go in the hard drive applications folder. What applications in particular are in your home?

You don't need to. That's the beauty of it. The computer will take care of itself; the tools are just there in case an error pops up.

3. Avzone thread starter macrumors 6502

Avzone

>>>

Ah I see, Thanks! Thats cool. Programs in my home are:
    Applications
    Documents
    Desktop
    Incomplete
    Libary
    Movies
    Music
    Pictures
    Public
    Shared
    Sites
    A few too many official ones I thought ?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Avzone thread starter macrumors 6502

Avzone

>>>

Ah yeah thats what I meant.

So is that ok to have them there (my preference aside) it doesn't slow the system down does it ?
    Can I just drag em in the Hd area and that be ok, as I really only want say 1 applications Folder. Im the only 1 that uses this mac, so no problems in that area.

Many Thanks for replying and your time.

Ah just 1 last question, why is it when say copying files when it finds and error in 1 does it not carry on copying the rest, its a real pain.

Thanks!
    ;)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Nope.

Probably. Some applications may not take kindly to that sort of treatment, but if that's the case, you can just drag them back. You should use Disk Utility to repair permissions afterwards, though.

Yes, it really is.

7. Avzone thread starter macrumors 6502

Avzone

>>>

Ha!
    Ok, well thank you very much for your help, its very much appreciated.
    ;)