Folder management

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LP15, Apr 15, 2009.

1. LP15 macrumors newbie

hey,

is there a way to organise that ALL folders are in LIST view and how do u change the list type ie: i want it to list as TYPE (or in mac world KIND) so that it lists all folders then files etc. I can do it for the desktop thru finder preferences but not for the folders.

any help would be great.....cheers

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Select always open in List view on the top of the Finder View Menu and make sure you have Kind selected as a column header > click on it to sort by kind. You can drag the column round to reorder if you wish.

3. LP15 thread starter macrumors newbie

that option doesnt come up for me? im running osx10.4.11.....

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Listing all folders then files is a horrible habit of windows users.

However, to do it, close all finder windows, open new finder window,
    open View / View Options (COMMAND+J), and do "All Windows"
    adjust new finder window to how you like it.

5. LP15 thread starter macrumors newbie

will give that a go.....cheers! i know its a windows thing but i find it the easiest way to do things......ta

6. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

I've been having this sort of bafflement too. Changed the view options in finder although didn't see an "all windows" selection box.

However I'm now happier in finder, but as soon as I go into any other application to open a file it orderers everything alphabetically first, rather than by Folder, then Alphabetically?

Why is this "infliction" of us windows switchers such a horrible habit? I have many folders with grouped relevant information so to have them first make life easy for me...

So What is the Mac way then?

7. GamaFu macrumors regular

I have the same question, I am using my first mac and the Finder just won't work as I expected. In windows, I've always arranged files manually and go to the folder I put it in to open it when I need it. I guess maybe Apple expects us to use Spotlight to find files all the time. I just don't like the idea that my files are not organized logically.

One thing I can't get used to is that Finder won't arrange file automatically, when I move one file to trash, then there will be a empty spot until I click on Arrange by...

8. Dunmail macrumors regular

Smart Folders

Consider using Smart Folders - basically saved Spotlight searches that keep themselves up to date.

So you could have two Smart Folders that hold all documents associated with a contract with a particular client. On folder is for the "live" documents, the other for signed off ones. Once the documents are signed off, change the metadata on the document and they "move" from the live folder to the completed folder automatically without actually changing their physical location on disk.

It's a different way of looking at things and allows you to have documents appear in multiple views without needing more than one physical version. It's not a substitute for full document management with version control but it does help with day to day workflow.

9. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Thats an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it will work for me.
    Although I am starting to play with the smart folders..

Spotlight though is fantastic. the only thing that really lets it down is the lack of a "mind link" so it will find what I am really looking for other than the gibberish that I'm typing.

Oh No, I'm wrong, Its just poped up with a message "Run Kettle.app"
    It knows me already ;)

10. GamaFu macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips. I'd still like to organize the physical files though. Since I use Dropbox to backup and share files with my PC, Smart Folders doesn't seem to be the thing I want. Anyways, I was just searching for how-to-organize-files-on-mac tutorials, and found some applications called Hazel and File Actions can automatically move files around based on user-defined rules. I might give them a try see how it works out for me. I have a feeling I will probably still end up managing them manually. lol

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open a Finder window and open View Options from the File Menu (or command+J or right click in the folder). select either Snap to grid (manual) or Keep arranged by (automatic) and then for Tiger select All windows at the top and for Leopard select Set as defaults down the bottom.

12. GamaFu macrumors regular

Thank you so much. Now it works as I want it to. :D

13. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Folders within apps too?

Sorry to dig this up again but I'm still finding it relevant, and useful.

The Command+J thing in finder SUPER! much happier now but..

I Still arrange things Folders, then Files, Yes I am a switcher :rolleyes:, but I just still find it quicker for most stuff most of the time...

My new folder based issues...

1) psd files will still show above folder, looking at "kind" view is this because they are "adobe photoshop" and therefore alphabetically come 1st? Or have I missed a trick?

2)Now happy in finder, I'm still a bit confused by programs Save, and Open boxes. They come up with a slimmed down finder window, but its back to alphabetical ordering which I then have to trawl through to find the correct folder.

3)To speed things up I type the 1st letter of the folder/file name that I'm after.. eg R, for However I have a few files and a few folders that start with R, But If I just type "RRR" quickly to bring up the third file folder down I get Binged at.. So I have do, R pause R pause R to get there... This just strikes me as silly, I must be missing some setting some where.:confused:

4)I create a new folder in the open/save boxes and I stupidly save it as "Typo Folder Name" I can obviously stick stuff in it, but without coming out of the save/open and going into finder I cant re-name my mistake on the fly.. Used to do this in "THAT other operating system" and I find it odd that I cant in OSX.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Wheaty