Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I am using my Time Capsule as a duplicate copy of My OneDrive Folder, Instead of manually copying files from OneDrive to my Time Capsule as my 2nd backup is there a software that can keep both folders in Sync? Also Timcapsule is connected wirelessly over my home network.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I'm unfamiliar with TimeCapsule, but I'm assuming you can see it as a share on your desktop and are able to drag files/folders into it. If that's the case then you can use rsync to do that, with a little config.

I wrote a quick "How To..." here a while back:

https://www.ghostotter.com/backing-folder-macos-rsync/

All that remains to do then is to have something like Automator, Cronnix, Lingon etc execute the rsync command on a schedule that suits you.

Reactions: mailbuoy

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
I am using my Time Capsule as a duplicate copy of My OneDrive Folder, Instead of manually copying files from OneDrive to my Time Capsule as my 2nd backup is there a software that can keep both folders in Sync? Also Timcapsule is connected wirelessly over my home network.

You may want to check Chronosync. It has demo so you can try if it does what you need.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Any alternatives to chronosync, that can sync 2 folders in real time and keep them identical?

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Is it only the original OneDrive folder to which you make changes? That is, you're not working in both the original and the one on the TC, are you?

Yes only make changes in OneDrive folder, TC is backup copy that I want to keep in sync with any changes I make.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Based on what I've read I think it would be tricky to get syncing set up like that. Regular, timed cloning of a folder would be easy and customizable with third-party tools.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Any alternatives to chronosync, that can sync 2 folders in real time and keep them identical?

Most sync tools are not real time. Can be very frequent, but I have never used that are live/real time.

Would a cloud based tool (OneDrive, DropBox, Box, etc.) Work? Some will snyc within a few minutes, assuming you on line. Depending on the size of what needs to stay sync'd, it might be a reasonable option.

If it is a large data set (more than about 5 GB)....maybe not.

One of the few commercial tools to consider: Resilio.

Open source too (I have not used it) that might help is SyncThing

SeaFile
looks good, but never used it. Free for up to 3 users I see.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I use Sync Folders Pro. it does exactly what I need. its setting are very advanced, almost too advanced. but I have it sync the folders on my desktop to my backup drives. you can choose from multiple sync scenarios, A-->B, B-->A, A=>B etc and how it deals with file comparison between two locations, deletes old versions, only syncs new ones etc. you can manually set the sync interval....I have mine set for 1800 seconds auto sync. works absolutely flawlessly. I don't need to drag copies of files around to multiple locations. I put them where I need and either manually or let it auto sync and everything is copied over in real time almost.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sync-folders-pro/id522706442?mt=12

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.