Folder opens once logged in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MattGarner, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MattGarner macrumors regular

I'm posting this for a good friend of mine. He says when he logs in onto his account on his macbook his home folder opens. He is wondering is there a way to turn this off? I searched the forums but found no answer, hope you can help!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I can think of three possible causes of this:
    1. Mac OS X restores any windows that were open if you log out and log in again in the Finder. This includes shutting down. The fix: Close all Finder windows first.
    2. Your home folder may be showing up because of something in your Login Items, under Accounts in System Preferences. Check here for any unwanted applications.
    3. You have a login script or other resource that runs at startup, but is NOT in your Login Items, that is showing your home folder. In that case, you can use a tool called Lingon to find and remove it.

3. MattGarner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I don't want to make a new thread. But this is the second time it has happened to me. The docks magnifying feature stops working (yes its turned on i checked) Also in the menubars, I have to use my arrow keys to go into the options such as Dock > Hiding on etc. Anyone know if this just a issue with me? Or has it happened a lot. I can fix this by relogging in, but wondering if theres a fix to stop it again.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like your Dock preference file is messed up. Try moving it to your Desktop then restarting the Dock. To do this, the preference file is in your user folder -> Library -> Preferences, and is called com.apple.dock.plist (the d in dock might be capitalized). Restarting the Dock can be done in two ways:
    1. Open Activity Monitor, which is in your Utilities folder, find Dock, quit it. It will restart itself.
    2. Open Terminal and issue this command: killall -HUP Dock