Folder Paths in my iMac 20"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ANewMacGuy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. ANewMacGuy macrumors newbie

I have to enter my new iMac in the Scanner/Copier at work and it is asking for a path for where to place my images. In Windows I had no problem with this. I have tried, just 'desktop' or \desktop\ but I am unaware actually how MAC works. I tried looking through the help files so I can see something like 'file explorer' in windows but I don't see that. I checked the MAc HD which shows, desktop, my personal name, applications and documents. Anyone that has a suggestion would be great. If not, hopefully the tech support of our copier will have an answer.

ANewMacGuy

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The path to the desktop is

/Users/yourshortusername/Desktop.

Yourshortusername is the name that is given in the sidebar, which from your description is your personal name.

It seems a little odd that it is directly asking for a path to the save location, does it not give you a window where you can navigate to the desktop.

3. ANewMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to ask another question. /yourshortusername/ is what shows up when I click the Macintosh HD under Places and it shows Desktop, myname, applications, documents. Do I use my full name or what is my short user name. Secondly, in windows at least the slashes go the other way. Do the / or \ in the Mac? And is all of this case sensitive?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is this a GUI window or a Terminal window (like DOS), what error messages if any did it give you when you tried entering paths previously

In OS X the slashes go /

Generally it best to keep to the correct case

In this example

Picture 1.png

The path to the desktop is /Users/rich/Desktop

5. ANewMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply again. The error message is "Folder cannot be found". I finally got away with log in problems, computer not found.. Now it is just a matter of time til I can find the right location. I will attempt changes again.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you have a space in your name and depending on the window (GUI or Terminal) then you might need to escape it

for example

/Users/John Smith/Desktop/
    /Users/John\ Smith/Desktop/

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Is the scanner directly attached by USB to your Mac at work or is it on the network? I know our copier/scanner/printer on the LAN can scan to a folder on my Mac via FTP - but FTP must be enabled in the Sharing>Services preference pane and the path to the folder will be an IP address.
    Code:
    ie. ftp://192.168.123.25/Users/live4ever/Documents/Scans

8. ANewMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Copier/scanner is connected to router via ethernet and then wirelessly transmits to all the computers. I will attempt the ftp option. it was there but didn't need that for the window based computers.

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

If you can post the make and exact model number of the copier/scanner it would be helpful as well.

10. ANewMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Konicia Minolta Bizhub352.

I never thought of this til later at night and after some settings changes in Windows which I am more familiar with, I got it to scan to my XP partition while booted there.

I'm sure it can work on the OS side the mac but until I get better at understanding 'how' things want to work, I will do the more technical stuff on the windows side.

So far I love the iMac. Thanks for the all the help.

ANewMacGuy

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you are using 10.5 Leopard (Look at the Apple in the upper left corner of the screen, is it blue, gray, or black?) If it is black, then you are Leopard, but for extra confirmation, click on the apple and then hit "About This Mac" and if the version is 10.5.x it is Leopard. 10.4.x is Tiger.

Anyway, if you are on Leopard, select a Finder window and then in the menubar, go to View -> Show Path Bar. Now a path bar will show up in the bottom of the Finder windows.

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry to hijack this thread but hey you have the same shortname as me! i guess your name is Richard too? its nice to see there is a fellow mac user with the same shortname. mine originally had my lastname but i changed it (the right way).