Folder Permissions Mac OS X (help)

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by depi-, Mar 8, 2016.

1. depi- macrumors newbie

I need some help.

I want to make one folder accessible for two different users on same mac. (total ownership with read/write rights)

I set up Permission read/write under finder/get info for both users and applied to all files.
    The ownership works for all files that are already in that folder, but if i save another file in there,
    it has only read rights for other user. How can I fix this?

2. depi- thread starter macrumors newbie

3. steveyg777 macrumors newbie

Will this not mess a system up? The amount of times I've had problems because of these crappy permissions!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2016 ---
    I want to do this but also i would like to be able to allow certain users full access to reach others user folders too (user 1 can fully access and edit user 2's files etc). Is there a way to do this using the same principle? - apply the permissions for the group on the user folders instead)???

4. leman macrumors 604

If you want to do things like these on a regular basis, I'd recommend you to invest into the OS X Server. Its very reasonably priced and offers you a nice UI for dealing with permissions and sharing.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2016 ---
    You can certainly do this, but IMO it bad design. If some data is shared between two users, you should make them a group and store that data in a group folder.