Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm running a MacBook Pro, and recently when I've been starting up my computer, I get a flash of a folder with what looks like a question mark in it before the usual Apple symbol shows up (this is on the grey screen).

Any reason why that's happening/how to stop it?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
gloss said:
Same thing here. The only change I've made recently is getting rid of my Boot Camp partition.

I've actually done the same thing recently...

Just to clarify, the computer starts up and everything (ergo, it finds the startup disk), but the question-mark/folder flashes for juuuust a second beforehand.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
go the startup disk pref pane & be certain the right disk is selected as the startup disk. If it is, then clik on the padlock in the lower left corner to be sure it can't be changed by anyone......

the flashing question mark means the system is having to search for a valid system folder to boot from, which should be automatic if everything else is straight with prefs & such. You may need to trash the sud preferences file, empty the trash, reselect the disk in the pane, and restart the machine.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
SmurfBoxMasta said:
go the startup disk pref pane & be certain the right disk is selected as the startup disk. If it is, then clik on the padlock in the lower left corner to be sure it can't be changed by anyone......

the flashing question mark means the system is having to search for a valid system folder to boot from, which should be automatic if everything else is straight with prefs & such. You may need to trash the sud preferences file, empty the trash, reselect the disk in the pane, and restart the machine.

That is exactly what needs to be done.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
System Preferences is an application so it's by default on your dock but will also be in your applications folder. Run it and then go into start-up disk, select the boot-drive you want and then exit out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.