folder sharing connection fail error - imac to macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farmermac, Jul 2, 2011.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded both machines to Lion

Both machines were 100% working with SL

2010 iMac and 2010 MacBook Pro

the iMac can connect to the MBP, share its screen & see the shared folders without any issues

the MBP however can share screen but gives "connection failed" error when trying to see the shared folders on the iMac.

I didnt change any login/passwords or settings during the upgrade to Lion. I've checked the shared folder prefs and everything seems as it should.

I switched the accounts to connect via Apple ID, a new Lion feature, but i get the same connection failed error.

Any suggestions?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have had the same problem with a 24" iMac and 2 different 13" MBPs. All was well back in 10.5.3 (or so), then I ran software updates and then the MBPs could no longer connect to the iMac to share files. The iMac has no problem reaching the MBPs though.

Strangely, if I boot the iMac and then do not log in, but leave it at the login window, then the MBPs can connect to the iMac with no problems! If the MBPs disconnect and then you log in on the iMac, and then try again to connect from the MBP to the iMac you will get "connection failed".

I've searched forums including apple's forum, but never found a solution. One suggestion involved re-linking some file down in the OS area, but I couldn't see any logic behind it so I didn't try.

It's really annoying since I have a pair of firewire drives hooked up to the iMac that I would love to access from the MBPs.

3. nanosour macrumors member

Same problem with a Jan 08 Macbook and 2 27" iMacs. One an i7 and the other a base model. Both iMacs see the MB files just fine. But the MB cannot log into the iMacs files. However screen sharing works all the way around. Have you found any solutions?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Have you tried to :
    a. reboot iMac.
    b. Do NOT log in on the iMac.
    c. Try to access iMac from the MacBook

For some reason, if the iMac is sitting at the login screen direct from boot, then I can see the files on the iMac with no problem.

5. wuga macrumors newbie

This might due to the user used was created in previous OS version, if you create a new user in Lion you will be able to connect the shared without any issue. This is weird, I don't think I can delete off the previous created user and create a new one then do all the settings over again. :mad: