Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jciapara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hi,

I've a question, I have 2 Macs, 1 iMac 24" and 1 Powerbook, until a few months I only worked with my powerbook, but then I bought the iMac, which is great, but now I will start using again my powerbook since I am starting my masters, is there any program that will use WiFi to keep let's a specific folder in synch?, for example I can have all my university documents in that folder and if a make a change in a class, when I come home I can just keep my powerbook open and start working on the same document on my iMac, with the latest version, or vice versa, if I make a change at home, I would like my powerbook to have the latest version for when I go to class.

I know that with time capsule, I might be able to do something like that but is there any way to do it, without extra hardware or cables, just using WiFi or even Bluetooth. Or if you know another way of doing what I'm planning to do, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Hi,

I've a question, I have 2 Macs, 1 iMac 24" and 1 Powerbook, until a few months I only worked with my powerbook, but then I bought the iMac, which is great, but now I will start using again my powerbook since I am starting my masters, is there any program that will use WiFi to keep let's a specific folder in synch?, for example I can have all my university documents in that folder and if a make a change in a class, when I come home I can just keep my powerbook open and start working on the same document on my iMac, with the latest version, or vice versa, if I make a change at home, I would like my powerbook to have the latest version for when I go to class.

I know that with time capsule, I might be able to do something like that but is there any way to do it, without extra hardware or cables, just using WiFi or even Bluetooth. Or if you know another way of doing what I'm planning to do, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.

How about using .Mac? You can keep your files on your iDisk and set both systems to automatically sync.

Alternatively you could use an FTP server as a remote disk. Just sync with the server before and after you do your work.

Another way is to mount one of the Mac's as a share on the other, and use Chronosync or similar.

Or use a Thumbdrive

jciapara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
.Mac Account

The .Mac idea sounds great, the thing is I don't want to depend on a thumb drive, that I have to be plugging and unplugging, I want to be able to just access my documents directly, which brings me to another question, is there anyway to have my .Mac account always on Synch with my powerbook, in case I am in an area without Internet?, let's say I come to my house, open the a document which is in .Mac account and edit it, and save it back, then my powerbook should also be able to access that document, but then I go outside my house to work, and there is no internet, my Powerbook was connected to the internet while I was at home, which should be enough for my powerbook to synch it's local folder with .Mac one so I can use it offline. Is it to much to ask? or is maybe I don't know how exactly the .Mac works, essentially I think is just a repository server which your mac is able to access as a hard drive right? but once you're offline the documents are no longer accesible?. Sorry for so many questions but I would like to know if there is a way to do this.

*Update: I will look into the Chronosync app, which from what I just quickly read on the webpage, does what I need, more or less.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I don't know how exactly the .Mac works, essentially I think is just a repository server which your mac is able to access as a hard drive right? but once you're offline the documents are no longer accesible?. Sorry for so many questions but I would like to know if there is a way to do this..

When you set your Mac to auto-sync with your .Mac iDisk, it creates a sparseimage of your iDisk on your Mac. This means that if you're disconnected from the internet, you can still access and work with your files as normal, but you will actually be working with the files contained in the sparseimage on your Mac. Next time your Mac connects to the internet, it will automatically sync the local sparseimage files to the .Mac server to bring them up to date.

Note that this means you have to make sure the sync has happened before you switch to the other Mac and start accessing the iDisk files from there, otherwise you will get a sync conflict.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.