Folder Synchronization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sioannou, Mar 6, 2011.

1. sioannou macrumors member

Mar 25, 2010
    Nicosia Cyprus

I have 2 pc's in my home and an Imac. Now I am also buying a new MBP. In order to not get lost between my documents I used to use a nice feature came with my windows antivirus (webroot). It provided me a 10gb space online and through this it was automatically synchronizing my documents whenever I opened my pcs. The problem exist with the mac. If i wanted to move a document to mack i had to do this through the network or through a memory stick.

Now as I am buying a new MBP i would like to fix this. Do you know any application that can synchronize my folders and documents between my mac and pc whenever I am not at home?
  2. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2010
  3. waynep macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2009
  4. Big Bad D macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2007
    Just to add a little variety to the responses: try SugarSync. It's also great and I find it to be more flexible than Dropbox to manage choice of folders to be synchronised.
  5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2010
    I use Windows Live Mesh to sync my university documents between my Windows desktop in my dorm and my laptop running Mac/Windows that I take to university.

It works real nice for me. I like how it syncs my newly created documents to the cloud when I'm on my laptop so as soon as I power down my laptop and boot up my desktop, they all sync back down for me to continue working on them.
  6. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2008
    Be careful with SugarSync. During the first few months (2 years ago), I loved it. My annual subscription = March 11th; I spent the weekend cleaning out the account in prep for termination. Seemed like the more I used it, the more I was punished with dupes up da wazoo, on every frigging machine. Many were old files, like from 3+ years ago, so I had not opened them recently; thus, I never could figure out the "why" behind the duplications. Nor was I thrilled with the "speed". I had also been using a freebie DropBox account, but am now a paid member. Despite all the devices hooked into DropBox, for over a year, I have yet to see a DropBox-induced duplicate, and it seems to be the speediest outfit in town. Costs more out-of-pocket, but SugarSync proved to be the most costly, in terms of wasted time (killing dupes) and pure aggravation. Even killing the SugarSync account was a pain, but persistence paid off.