Folder vanished in front of my eyes ... HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Experiment 626, May 23, 2011.

1. Experiment 626 macrumors newbie

Greetings, all.

On Saturday I was editing images from a photo shoot using Adobe Bridge CS5. After a couple of hours I finished and let the Image Processor generate a folder of JPEGs and another of TIFFs, both stored inside the same folder that held the RAW files from the shoot. I saw Photoshop generating the files in the background. Then I was going to copy that folder back to a flash drive. I went to append an "A" to the end of the folder name so that the new folder wouldn't overwrite the original (not sure that's necessary anymore, but it's a habit). Was tired and ham-fisted and had a little trouble clicking on the name of the folder in the Finder, but I got it after a few seconds.

Then something happened. There was a sound effect (can't recall exactly which it was), and suddenly I had a text clipping with the name of the folder -- and the folder was gone. Vanished into thin air. Disappeared.

Doing a search reveals no folder with anything like the name I used -- not the original nor the revised name. No RAW files, JPEGs, or TIFFs can be located that were modified after the day before the shoot. The folder wasn't thrown into the trash -- there are files in the trash from the shoot, but they're my rejects that I put there myself. And anyway, those files are still there, so the trash wasn't emptied.

After cursing for a while, the last thing I tried was a hard reboot (pressing and holding the power button), but upon restarting, nothing had changed.

In all my years of using a Mac (since the halcyon days of System 6), I have never seen anything like this.

The folder was on the top level of my second internal hard drive. This machine is a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3, running Mac OS version 10.6.7.

Spotlight searches reveal no file with names corresponding to ones that should be in the missing folder. Terminal cannot find the folder, either.

Any ideas?

SSB

2. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

I have an idea! This is from experience with vanishing folders, or all files within a folder vanishing.

Click the apple icon in the top left. Select "Force Quit...", Select Finder, and quit it. It doesn't actually say quit, it should say relaunch, but it will basically restart and refresh it, which will hopefully bring back those invisible folders.

Make sure you're not working on anything during this time.

Also, in case it's an odd permissions issue, run disk utility and repair disk permissions.