Folder with ?, Bad HD, New HD, New Install, Folder with ? AGAIN!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by avrilc, Apr 29, 2011.

1. avrilc macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Would love if anyone can help me. Two weeks ago my intel mac would not startup. The folder with question mark would appear. A few times I was able to start it after by doing random things like removing and replacing the battery. It would work intermittently, but then one day it wouldn't start after numerous attempts. I took it to the mac genius and he said it was a dead hard drive. I got the hard drive replaced with a WDC 500 GB hard drive. I reinstalled Leopard. It worked for a while, then started freezing. When I would restart it, I would get the flashing folder and question mark again.

Now I'm back to square one as it is intermittently starting. I reinstalled Leopard, but the same thing keeps happening.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I really appreciate any help,
    thanks so much,
    Avril
    Ireland

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. avrilc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much Hellhammer. Would it be a lemon even if it works on and off? Its just such a coincidence that both hard drives had the same problem?? Even though the genius told me my old HD was bad, I am now starting up from either my old or new HD. They are both working intermittently. Its the weirdest thing. I'm now working off the new hard drive, but I know the next time I start up, the folder with question mark will show up and I will have to work off the old hard drive! Could it be a problem with something within the computer besides the HD? I ran Tech Tools, and also Apple Hardware test, along with the Disk permissions etc. However, none of them show up any problems at all. Its like there is a problem with the problem recognizing the hard drive or drives? Some times it recognizes its there, other times it doesn't. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Thanks so much,
    Avril