folder within a folder in I-photo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adrp, Mar 1, 2012.

1. adrp macrumors newbie

Hi,

new to forum so hello to all

I have a Mac book pro and starting to use i-photo, but with windows machine I have a folder of photos within a master folder,
    i.e.
    folders of holidays, cars etc all of these are in thier own folder and then in a master folder. But when I try and put this 'master' folder into i-photo it takes each smaller folder out and puts them in.
    So is there a way of putting the one master folder into i-photo instead of lots of smaller folders??

Many thanks

adrp

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Hi adrp.

There are two ways of using iPhoto.

First way- let it organise all the storage. Everything gets sucked into iPhoto and you dont worry (or know) where it is. Every photo lives in one event. As well as events, you also have albums, and the same photo could be in multiple albums (just as a pointer, its not copied). So your Porche might be stored (and visible) in the event "cars" but it could also be seen in the albums "all my cars", "holiday 2003", "car accident" etc. To make this happen "copy items to iPhoto library" needs to be ticked in preferences>advanced.

Second way -You organise things how you want. The photos all live outside iPhoto in their original folders. When that happens, I'm not 100% how iPhoto creates events but I'm pretty sure its at the folder level, eg each separate subfolder will be called as an event in iPhoto. To make this happen "copy items to iPhoto library" needs to be UNticked in preferences>advanced.

Its tough to know which is the best way to go, but if you already have an extensive organisation structure. I think the second way is probably best for you, at least to start with. If for no other reason than later on you can easily change so you have it all in one place in iPhoto, wheres if you suck everything into iPhoto its going to be a lot of work to recreate the original folder structure.

3. meaty macrumors member

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

You can set up folders within folders, but you have to create those folders from within iPhoto.

As Tumbleweed666 says, you should decide on how you want to use iPhoto first.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

To create a New Folder for the Sidebar in iPhoto, use the File Menu. You can then create other Folders or Albums, and put them in that first Folder

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

So would that be a nested event?

7. interrobang macrumors 6502

No, it would be nested folders, for your albums.

Events are a separate organizational scheme that works alongside the folder/album scheme:

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Just been having a play and AFAICS the only difference between allbums and folders is that you can nest folders but not albums. Had albums been nestable, folders wouldn't have been needed at all.

A pretty clumsy implementation I think but thanks for the heads up, I had never created a folder before.

Now, if you could "tell" iPhoto to import from an existing folder structure on disk and reflect that in an iPhoto set of nested folders, that would be an obvious thing to do but since you cant even import directly into an event (another "obvious" feature thats missing) I guess we'll have to wait for that.

9. adrp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey

Many thanks for the posts, will try what you have mentioned,

Appreciate your time for my 1st question in the forum.
    adrp