Folder Won't Display Image Previews (4th Display Option)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trevor2522, Sep 8, 2012.

1. trevor2522 macrumors member

Clicking Folder Won't Display Image Previews (4th Display Option)

Macbook Pro, 2011 model, Snow Leopard, OSX 10.6.8

When I open a folder containing images from the uncluttered desktop, under the right-hand-side or fourth option, which allows scanning horizontally using the scroll wheel, no previews are displayed, only black boxes. The images can be opened individually but I miss the ability to quickly scan and select as above.

At the same time my MP3 downloads-to-desktop don't turn black on completion, although the download is performed otherwise normally.

What could be causing these quirks? I have not changed any settings. Thanks.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

View > Show View Options
    uncheck Show Icon Preview

3. trevor2522 thread starter macrumors member

Cured these problems on re-boot.

The longer I use this Mac, the more often I have to re-boot to cure its quirks. It seems to be turning into a PC!

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Someone made the same comment on another forum. I'm guessing it was you. I can't recall a single time I've had to reboot my Mac to solve a problem. But then, I shut down almost every night.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have to reboot my Mac now and again. Other than reboots for OS updates, power failures and the very occasional quirk, it's been on since May 2008. I stopped letting it sleep when I found out that (at the time) sleep caused corruption of the Time Machine backup. Another reason for leaving it on is I used Time Machine editor to schedule once a day TM updates at 1am.

Now that I have an SSD, I'm thinking of shutting down or at least sleeping at night so it doesn't chew through the write cycles diddling log files. I guess I'd have to change my TM schedule if I do that.

trevor2522: A reboot is normally unnecessary to cure "quirks". Use force quit to relaunch finder and that cures most quirks.

6. trevor2522 thread starter macrumors member

The difference between a Mac and a PC:

A Mac is happy running for a day or several days. Intensive financial charts (Java) sometimes fail to load and require a restart if the computer is heavily used.

A PC may need rebooting several times a day as it crashes under intensive use.

When you've gone Mac, you never go back,

or was it ...

When you've gone black, you never go back? I'm still waiting to test that out in Madagascar.