Folders fail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jrcsh6, Jun 24, 2010.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

This morning I had a problem. Updated 12 apps. I spent some time last night after recieving the iPhone 4, filing apps away in folders. When I updated the 12 apps this morning (most in folders) the folders were gone. Apps all thrown out of them. AND I had ousted the ipod app in favor of sms in the bar...it was swapped. any ideas?

2. Xenius macrumors newbie

Do you have itunes 9.2? All other instances of folders going away I've seen involved someone not having itunes updated.

3. broncopde macrumors 6502

Mysterious. I assume you updated them on the phone with "Update All" (as opposed to updating them in iTunes and syncing), correct? I have not heard of this problem. If reproducible it's certainly one heck of a problem!

4. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

yea. everything is current. i actually just got leopard for the iphone (long over due but not a life changer) you can imagine my shock. i was at a stop light. clicked to update apps. and a few blocks down went to change a song and there are apps all over the place! hah
    i don't wanna put much work into reorganizing just for it to happen again but will build up some folders and see. it was odd too that ipod app and sms app switched from the bar. i would kinda get it if just the folders failed and dropped their contents. i'm wondering about how the files are organized on the phone. perhaps the paths are artificial when in folders and when they're updated they are reset and thus put back on the "desktop" instead of in a folder?

and yes, "update all"

5. statisticschick macrumors newbie

I had this exact same issue. I organized all my apps into folders on my 3GS and I noticed later (after a couple of syncs) that they were all out of the folders!! Eek!! Just picked up my iPhone 4 and am syncing it right now. I am hoping that all the apps go back into folders, because to keep putting these babies in folders is a time-consuming PITA!

6. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I'd think if it was wide spread people would be going on about it already but maybe it's the coming crap with ios4?! hope not but i'm sure magical apple will patch it. haha now the looming reception drama probably isn't gonig to be a software fix...

7. mashima macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem. I made the ordering right on the iphone and, later all my folders gone when I updated the apps. Of course I shocked: it was about 1 hour moving apps and filling folders (pretty entertained at least)

Now I have seen new apps to update, and I reorganized again, but plugged and via iTunes, this time. I plugged it out and clicked "update all", and everything seems to be ok by now

I cross my fingers for the next update and, in prevention, i just screenshoted all the panels and folder contents