Folders First?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cleverboy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Okay, I've been a Mac users for a good long time, but only recently have I gone back to using it as my primary computer again. Now, after the wonderful homecoming, the sorting on the Finder is REALLY becoming unacceptable. Why can't it list the folders FIRST and then list the FILES?

I really need to get this working to effectively target things I need to do. Has someone worked out a solution for this yet? Has Apple? You have a folder of files from A-Z numbering in the thousands, and only 4 folders inside of it that are scattered throughout the thousands of files alphabetically. How do I get ALL folders to simply list alphabetically at the top, BEFORE the Finder lists all the files?

This doesn't seem like rocket-science, but I'm running out of keywords to search on, and I'm not having much luck. There's gotta be a Finder enhancer or system tweak somewhere, right?

~ CB

2. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

A little more research seems to indicate that the only easy option is sorting by "Kind" by hitting COMMAND + J. Meh. I don't get the folders at the top, and it requires extra effort whenever I DO need it, but I guess that's something. It's sorting by Kind and THEN by alphabetically (relative to each kind).

Now I have to figure out the best way to MERGE two folders on MacOS X (instead of replacing the whole folder). I can't imagine there's not an Apple script somewhere. I almost remember a nice "compare" script (though that's MORE than what I want... I just want braindead "replacement") back when Applescript was first introduced. Now, there seems to be a handful of apps and special utilities for this basic action. --Kind of discouraging that there's something simple-stupid out there.

~ CB

3. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

4. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Fantastic, took two seconds, and works as advertised. Having the rest of the files grouped by type isn't anywhere near as big a deal. Thanks!

Found anything for "merging" folders easily? The best I've been managing is the SFTP to whatever machine I want to "merge" folders (including my own), and copying it through something like CyberDuck... which "merges" as a matter of course.

~ CB

5. Tobuscus macrumors newbie

I know this post is super old, but I wanted to answer the last Q - for merging folders (and also cutting/pasting them, like in Windows) check out MoveAddict

The free version lets you cut and paste one folder at a time, the pay version is $5 and lets you do unlimited.

Path Finder is pretty awesome - it also lets you cut and paste folders & organize folders first, but you can't merge folders with it for some reason, even with MoveAddict

6. kasakka macrumors 68000