Folders for music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inukami, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Inukami macrumors 6502

Hey i have lots of music they each have their own folders. When i go to iTunes to import it wont let me import a folder, just music files to my IPhone. So how do i go about add folders?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

you cant
    could you not try a playlist instead?

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

As far as I know, you can import individual songs and playlists, not folders..

You'd have to create a playlist out of music in the folder you want to transfer..

4. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

huh?? >.<
    So you're saying i can't have different sections/folders in my IPhone for music?

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

No, you can't have folders, you can have different playlists, playlists serve the same function as folders...

You can't transfer folders to the phone..

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes you can but they must be in a Playlists and not a folders. Playlists are iTunes version of a folder.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

8. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

Arrrr this is so confusing. I have all my stuff in the Playlist now, how do i transfer each Playlist to my IPhone? Why cant it be as easy as drag and drop =(

Also does anyone know if its possible to add album cover to music files?

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

right click on the file, get info, then artwork

go into itunes, then music, then select individual playlists to sync

10. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

@OP Just out of curiosity how do you organize the music with the folders? Is it by Artist, Album, Genre..

11. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

Well so far artists but i have now another question. Is it possible to add a sub playlist inside of a playlist? Cause i have Albums but they belong to the same artist.

12. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

The iphone will automatically organize your music for you. The buttons on the bottom of the phone in the ipod allow you to search by artists, album or all songs.

I have all of my music just in the main music library in itunes, nothing is sorted, except for a few playlists that I have like 80s, 90s, night music, christmas music, etc.

Just make sure that all of your songs have the pertinent information on them under the Get Info window like Album name, artist, etc. and when you sync your music onto the phone, it will organize it all for you. No need for any folders.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Just let iTunes manage your library, but to do this the ID tags for the songs must be correct.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can, in iTunes, sort of -- but before I try to explain how to do it, might I suggest you try the "album view" in iTunes and sort by Artist? I think it'll get you the effect you are looking for without bothering with playlists and folders. On the iPhone, your songs should also automatically be viewable according to artists and albums. Just look for the appropriate icons once you are in the music player.

This is, of course, assuming your song files are appropriately tagged. To tag the songs, do "get info" on a song in iTunes, and enter the info under the appropriate tabs.

You might also want to look around the "Guides" section of this forum. I'm pretty sure they had guides on how to use iTunes.